Options

computer shuts off unexpectly

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have had my computer on its side working on putting it together and I got everything working fine, but when I put in on the floor on its bottom it shuts off. I think the motherboard is shorting out but I am not for sure. If that is the case how can I fix it?? Does the motherboard just need to be screwed in tighter or what?? Any help is greatly appericated.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you using the standoffs supplied with the motherboard or case? Also, if they supplied those little paper-like washers for the screws make sure you use them too.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I am using the standoffs that came with the case. I don't think it it came with the paper washers for the screws but I will look. if not I will buy some.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Make sure that there isn't some loose metal part wedged between the motherboard and the case. Also make sure that all loose cable ends are properly tied up and can't short-out against anything.
  • Options
    Anyone else have any idea's what could be causing this to happen?? only shuts off when I have it standing up on its bottom. This is weird???
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    skives wrote:
    Anyone else have any idea's what could be causing this to happen?? only shuts off when I have it standing up on its bottom. This is weird???

Standing up on its bottom?? Say what??? icon_confused.gif:

Anyway, seems to be a common problem lately, so if there it's not shorting because you have the board in contact with the chassis....then:

Check out my post here as well as the other comments:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20619
    Plantwiz wrote:
    skives wrote:
    I am building my own computer and I have the power connected to it but when I press the power button it turns on and just shuts off. What could be wrong? what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,
    John

Well, what have you tried so far?

1. Disconnect everything and start over.
    2. Check make there aren't any solders touching the chassis
    3. Look for loose screws maybe underneath the Mobo etc..
    4. What type of PC are you building? Intel-based? AMD-based?
    5. What type of GC are you using? On-board? AGP? PCI-Express? What are the minimums per the MFG for the card?
    6. Do you have the correct sized PS for the CPU and GC?
    7. Do you have all the Power Cords plugged into the Mobo? The 4pin connector on an Intel board? The additional plug for the 24pin Mobo's (if your PS has it)
    8. Does your GC require aux power? Haven't seen any lately, but some GCs did require have a molex plug as additional power source.
    9. Does your Mobo accept the CPU you are trying to install? I've run into ASUS boards that were a version older and needed a BIOS flash prior to accepting the CPU (but I knew this before installing and I'm not 100% positive the board would power and shut off immediately...I'd expect it wouldn't power at all).
    10. Do you have your Chassis wires plugged in correctly to the Mobo?
    11. Do you have multiple HDDs? What type? If EIDE, I've had young techs make all the jumpers MASTER and have a similar power result. 4 EIDE/Atapi type drives must be jumpered correctly.

SOOOOO,

Start simple:
    If you have the proper sized PS, an the board isn't shorting from a solder or screw being out of place.....Plug in the PS - MOBO - RAM and GC....what happens?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you have given it the shake test and found no loose components as has already been asked?

Does it turn off right away or after several minutes?

By sitting it on the floor does that mean a carpeted floor?

The laminar air flow in many cases in from the bottom front (there is a big open slot there) up across the disk drives, across the CPU and out through the power supply. This is the default design until you get to trick cases. Some supplies shut down from over heat, CPU's reduce clock speed until they reach a BIOS shut down temperature.

So.... How hot is your chip/case/power supply?
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote:
    Have you have given it the shake test and found no loose components as has already been asked?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the infamous "shake test". icon_lol.gif
    I've found screws, coins, bobby pins, cheerios and keys that way.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    TheShadow wrote:

I had a young man building boxes for me several years ago and he had a habit of leaving screws loose in the chassis. So we had to impliment the 'shake' test before the boxes could leave the building. (eventually it was best to simply have him consider another occupation).

The Cheerios and bobby pin is really an interesting find though!!! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    TheShadow wrote:

I had a young man building boxes for me several years ago and he had a habit of leaving screws loose in the chassis. So we had to impliment the 'shake' test before the boxes could leave the building. (eventually it was best to simply have him consider another occupation).

Haha, I have to agree with ya on the shake test, i think it should become a standard! One of my students took apart and rebuilt a pc and it wouldnt come on, then i found a quarter under the motherboard... haha it was on heads too!!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:

I found out the one with bobby pins was due to a toddler shoving them in through the front somehow between the drive bays. The one with cheerios had a lot of other stuff that looked like a mouse had been living in it. Barbie doll shoes/clothes, pine needles, etc.

Where I work right now the techs tell me that about 5 years ago they got a call about a non-working computer and when they opened up the workstation to see why it wouldn't power on there was a small dead snake inside. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Yes, have had signs of a snake and also lots of real bugs (aka Insects) Some dead, some not.

Some unidentified white foamy goooo, water damage, toys, crumbs of food.

It's amazing what people do near their computers icon_redface.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:

EEEWWW!!!! <insert shocked and disgusted emoticon here>
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

EEEWWW!!!! <insert shocked and disgusted emoticon here>

Well, well, well what sort of thing are you thinking?? icon_eek.gif I was refering to the food items and debris that makes its way inside a closed up chassis ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the first thing you should do is to check the power cable.

I had that problem with the first computer I built. I spent a good two hours taking things out and plugging them back in before I figured out that I had a bad cable.

Good times.... Good times...