Options

Quick question about resume

dmbfanatpsudmbfanatpsu Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
When listing the company that your currently employed with on your resume, is it ok to put "confidential" instead of listing the actual company name?

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That would look funny to me if I were reading a guy's resume. What's confidential about where you work?

If it's just a matter of not wanting your current employer to know you're actively looking for other opportunities, you would just leave off the specific contact information such as phone number and supervisor name from your resume.

As an employer, I wouldn't go to the trouble of contacting a candidate's current employer until I first interviewed the candidate. During the interview process you can mention that unless they are serious about offering you the job, you don't want them to contact your current employer as it might create friction in your current work environment. At some point though, you will probably have to allow them to check with the HR department of your current company so they can at least verify you do work there and what you do there. I wouldn't want to hire a guy who said he works for google only to find out he was only a line-cook at the cafeteria.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dmbfanatpsudmbfanatpsu Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I agree with sprkmrk. From my experience, employers do reference checks only after they're pretty certain that they're going to offer you the job, especially if they know you're still employed there. I have never had a potential employer call my current employer for a reference and not offer me the job.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I wouldn't want to hire a guy who said he works for google only to find out he was only a line-cook at the cafeteria.

I bet the Line Cook still makes more than me at Google.... Grrrr!
    Kam.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    A business name isn't proprietary information to the business, like job descriptions and salary histories are. If you really don't want to give the name, just say that the company has no name and the employees refer to it only as "The Agency." That'll get you hired real quick. icon_wink.gif