if i have MCSA/MCSE 2003

Hi every one, i have Q
if i have MCSA/MCSE 2003 do i realy need A+, does company ask speciall the new comming one A+ Exam 2006. if i have to take shall i take the old version or the new..... i am confused.........

thaks

Comments

• CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    hudda wrote:
    Hi every one, i have Q
    if i have MCSA/MCSE 2003 do i realy need A+, does company ask speciall the new comming one A+ Exam 2006. if i have to take shall i take the old version or the new..... i am confused.........

thaks

I truly believe that if you actually had your Mcsa/Mcse you would not be asking that question.

The A+ is more of an Entry level cert, unlike the Mcsa/MCSE.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    This is one that I feel strongly about. The need for an A+ is the least understood aspect of a career in the tech field. I teach many of the classes as adjunct faculty in the networking program at the college where I work and I tell my students:

"If you only get one certification in your life, get an A+"

I know why this is good advice. For as much as they think that they are going to graduate with their AS degree and jump into a networking job, the reality is that there are a lot more tech jobs than networking jobs. I had one recent graduate in my office a few weeks ago asking if I can help him find a job. In this area, most of the networking jobs required certification AND experience, and most of the tech jobs required an A+.

There are a few mom and pop business in this area that hire for minimum wage. 3 are on the advisory board for the workforce development PC tech program (I am on that board also). All 3 asked the instructor not push his students for an A+ because they will demand more money. Still, getting on as a tech that has a small IT staff will give you exposure to networking which counts as experience.

People ask: why work so hard on an MCSA/MCSE if you are just going to end up working as a tech?
    I am not saying not to look for networking jobs, I am saying with an A+ it is going to be easier to find something in the IT industry - especially if you have no experience. If you can get a network position right out of school or the day after you get your CCNA or MCSA/MCSE, I say go for it! But, that is not always the case. If you are going to an MCSA, make your elective the A+/Network+ that will show that you have some knowledge of hardware, and non-Microsoft OSes. I know down the road that will cost you one extra exam for an MCSE, but it is worth it.

It's a gateway certification. It can get you in the door someplace as a tech when networking jobs are not available or you do not have enough experience. You can't even get a job for Geek Squad, CompUSA, or other places that often hire and have high turnover rates - jobs at these places can pad your resume with experience (the most value asset in almost any field).
    Where I work, there are only 3 1/2 people in the IT department serving a college with over 2500 students, staff, and faculty. The network admin is often called on to help out with desktop calls. He started as a desktop tech, so he's cool, but he cannot do Dell warranty service because he does not have an A+. He's a great tech, so if anything, it's kind of bizarre. Also, the A+ does not expire

Here are the reasons to NOT get an A+:

1. People feeling that this certification holds no merit in the networking field. (Wrong! Many employers like to know that their networking guys have a working knowledge of PCs.

2. The cost (Wrong! You'll likely make it back on your 1st paycheck)

3. You're just too cool ... like an MCSE or CCNA ever got you women! (Wrong! If you're subscribing to this ridiculous tech/networking caste system, you are part of the problem and are going to grate against a peaceful work place by holding yourself above your coworkers. If I was interviewing a network person and they had the gall to slam the A+, I'd show them the door, because it shows me that they feel that they are above tech work and will look down on my desktop and helpdesk techs.)

4. If you find yourself out of a job, it will increase your chances of finding something faster. (If you you'd rather be unemployed than work as a tech, you probably don't need to work or are still living with your parents).
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • huddahudda Member Posts: 101
    Thank you for your time deneb829

It is interesting thought after so many intensive reading and preparation of Microsoft exams, may be my brain gets so sharp, or covered most of it. What happen was when I look at the practice Q for A+, it became so basic, and beginner level to me. Then I decide to get some advice from expertise, however I see your point, since it is not expired, it is good to have it, and some day I might need it in the worst scenario, if there are not Admin jobs or other circumstance. I worked before as Helpdesk, I am overseas currently, I will be in Toronto after 2 month, so I have time to study, and I start studying for exchange server.

In general, what is the hot certification currently for US or Canada, that gets you a decent job, I did MCSE: security specialized in 2003 truck, but I have seen many companies asking exchange server as well, what is your input on this one thanks for your time again.

hudda
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    hudda wrote:

In general, what is the hot certification currently for US or Canada, that gets you a decent job, I did MCSE: security specialized in 2003 truck, but I have seen many companies asking exchange server as well, what is your input on this one thanks for your time again.

hudda

It's hard for me to say exactly. Maybe some other members can input as well. I understand Security is pretty hot right now. I guess it depends where you live - in a big city like Toronto, there should be many different types of networking jobs, but I suggest rather than just the money, you choose the path that is most interesting to you. For example: If you like routing and switching, but not security, don't go for security because it may pay more.

If you are just looking for a job that pays well and it doesn't matter what you do, I'd suggest business, finance, pimpin', or some other lucrative career. If you love computers - just go with what you like about it.

Is English your first language? If you are multi-lingual, that may help as well. Especially Asian languages.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
    Aactually, I do like computers, since I was a little, but more in the network area. Having said that I would like to get a decent paid, for what I am working on, is not only getting motivated and being a certified person. I am assuming, as everybody would want that. I become more interested in Security is by reading articles and hearing a security issues becoming more fascinate recently, but my root is always in NW, yah English is my 3rd language as you said probably that will help as well.

Thank you
    hudda
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Deneb, Excellent posts. Thank you so much for your insight.

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I highly doubt this guy has MCSA, MCSE. He sounds like a complete newbie to the game.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    i would think so too, but if he has msce it shouldnt have any problem passing the A+ right since he is advanced on this computer filed it should be a peace a cake lol if not i guess he's not really hungry for certification ....advice u never have enough certifications u always want more lol
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • JJbiggleJJbiggle Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No one should take any exam lightly, I know a fews MCSE's, MCSA's that cant fix the simplest hardware problems.
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I highly doubt this guy has MCSA, MCSE. He sounds like a complete newbie to the game.

Hello my dear friends, (Olajuwon & ilcram19) first of all I am not guy I am a woman , secondly why would I lied? why did you think that way? What to gain? Please do not west your time by being suspicious, you can search my user name and you will know about me, when I post questions during my studies to make clear my doubts about 70-291,70-290, Security+ and so on may be that will clean your uncertainty.
    Yes I am MCSE Security specialized, I am very proud of my intensive studies, regardless you believe it or not.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hudda, I wouldn't worry too much about Olajuwon. He was banned yesterday from Techexams due to his ridiculous behavior.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Thank you icroyal!
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    JJbiggle wrote:
    No one should take any exam lightly, I know a fews MCSE's, MCSA's that cant fix the simplest hardware problems.
    Such as myself. icon_redface.gif
    witty comment
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The MCSA/MCSE focuses on Windows server/client administration and implementation. There is very little focus on hardware in these exams.

The A+, is a very nice certification to have in addition to the MCSA/MCSE because it show that you not only understand the software side of computer administration but that you also understand the hardware side.

An A+ is probably not necessary but it would not hurt to have it.
  • zzvinzzzzvinzz Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys (and girl :) ), I am quite new to this stuff, just had my 70-271 today and passed 270 last month , i am going after MC-DST and MCSA, and hopefully MCSE after that, and i just noted in this thread that you mentioned A+ certification (wich i will attempt at some point I think) didn't expire.
    I was wondering what you meant by that ? does MC*** certif have an expiration date or something? ?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The MS exams don't technically expire but they lose value. If someone had an NT4 MCSE, it wouldn't give any indication as to whether or not they would be able to function in a Server 2003 environment. They focus more on software/OS configuration and become dated as the software changes.

The Comptia exams are more foundational. They are updated from time to time to stay current, but the concepts don't change that much. I doubt you'd have trouble installing a PCI-express graphics card just because you learned how to install an AGP card originally.

Some exams due expire. The Cisco exams require you to retest or earn a higher level cert every three years. It really depends on the vendor and the cert.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    _omni_ wrote:
    JJbiggle wrote:
    Such as myself. icon_redface.gif

omni, how is that new job of yours going?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I used to think the A+ exam was beneath me too, when I worked tech support for an ISP and I would talk to A+ people all the time who couldn't do things like ping or traceroute. (or sometimes even get into cmd.exe without help).

I actually was very anti-certification after the people I talked to while working tech support (excluding Cisco people, who were actually usually fairly competent).

But the reality is that the people contacting tech support because they can't get connected to the Internet is not a fair cross section of the certified population, and it was unfair for me to say the A+ was too easy without taking the high road and getting it myself.

Additionally, I worked with many people who were perpetually "working on A+", just any day now, but didn't seem to have the drive to achieve even that. (they should have been going after I-Net+ instead anyway)

There are people in this industry that do not seem to be able to get A+, and at least it separates me from them. A+ might not have much credence with the MCSE's and CCNP's of the world, but when you give your resume to a company it isn't the CCNP's that look at your resume, it is some HR rep who is going to screen your resume, and to the untrained HR eye, the A+ may look like something worth while.

Lastly, the are some total idiots who hold A+, but these people often did not pick up a book on their own time to get it, they often "took a class" to lean the material, and can usually be identified by holding an A+ but no other certifications.

For a high level position only A+ may look worse than having experience but no certs, but as long as you couple it with another certification you will probably be OK, and as some have mentioned, A+ is required for some types of positions.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's right, never take a cert lightly. Always think in getting as much as you can.
    A good tech/admin for me, should have A+(or equivalent experience), CCNA at least and higher level cisco certs,any linux cert, mcsa and some VoIP knowledge among other things.
    Experience is very important, you can have 1000000 certs, but if you do not have any experience you wont get far.