Options

Line protocol down - VLAN

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I think I've managed to configure inter vlan routing, I can ping the IP addresses from router and switch that I've assigned to each VLAN and sub if on the router.

However.........

When I do a show int vlan 10 or 20 (my numbered vlans) it says that the line protocol is down and the vlan is administratively down.

When I do a Show vlan command it says that they are both "active"

Why is this?

From reading my books it does not say to do a no shut on vlans other than VLAN1

Can anybody advise why it says that the vlans that I've created are down but I can ping them?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You gotta do a no shut in the physical interface that you using sub interface for example

if you using a physical interface of router fast Ethernet 0/0 you must do a no shut there

i know you using sub interfaces fast Ethernet 0/0.1 and .2 blah blah blah
    but you must do no shut on the physical interface of it
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm going to finish a second switching TechLab in which I'll stress this topic because it seems to become one of the most common misconceptions.

I'm assuming you are working on a layer 2 switch.
    When I do a show int vlan 10 or 20 (my numbered vlans) it says that the line protocol is down and the vlan is administratively down.
    Those are 'not' VLANS, but 'vlan interfaces'. This is a virtual interface to which you can assign an IP address so you can manage the switch (e.g. telnet or ping to/from it). It has nothing to do with intervlan routing. Only one 'vlan interface' can be active, because it will use the base mac address of the switch. The active vlan interface is also referred to as 'the management vlan', which is 1 by default. Unless you plan to manage the switch from another vlan, you should leave it at 1. If you need to change it, you will need to shut down int vlan 1, create int vlan x, and assign it an IP and do a no shut on that new/other vlan interface.

I hope this clears it up.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can already ping between the sub interfaces successfully from the switch or the router, so I know have set the inter vlan routing up correctly.

My question was more why when doing a show vlan 10 did it say it was administratively down when I am able to ping a device on vlan 20 from a device on vlan 10.

I just wanted to make sure I was getting the expected output and that everything was setup correctly before I take this subject as being learned.

Yes it is a layer 2 switch.

You have cleared this up in your description Webmaster, thank you.

Thank you both for the reply.