Options

Hard Drive Problem

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Computer is booting very slow then goes to BSD. The hard drive also shows no letter designation the C: drive. Any suggestions
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try unplugging the Harddrive then plugging it back it again, also try booting to Win XP CD (if that is the OS installed on the drive) and do a CHKDSK. You could also try booting to the XP CD and doing a repair on the OS or format the drive and reinstall the OS if the other stuff does not work, but it sounds to me like the drive is bad.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Computer is booting very slow then goes to BSD. The hard drive also shows no letter designation the C: drive. Any suggestions

Then goes to BSD? If you're talking about BSD as in a /nix operating system there isn't a "C:" drive. If I was you and you are looking into a /nix machine, I would do some more reading on unix/linux and mount points. C: drive is a thing of the Microsoft world. icon_wink.gif

If not, I totally misunderstood your question and I apologize.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    BSD = Blue Screen of Death, which is definitely a Windows thing. icon_wink.gif

This is usually an indication of a hardware problem, possibly involving a bad or damaged driver, a hardware subsystem or peripheral that is malfunctioning, or a cable connector that isn't fitted properly or is shorting out. The first thing to note is what changes were made to the computer prior to this error condition occurring. Also check the BSD error message to see if it points to a specific driver file or device.

If there have been no recent changes to the computer's hardware or software, it could be that the computer's hard drive or disk controller is (going) bad. Swap out the hard drive with a known good hard drive and see if the same problem occurs.
  • Options
    5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    BSD = Blue Screen of Death, which is definitely a Windows thing. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hell, if it happens before the OS loads, it's an IBM thing. (Those machine-BSD's are a little scarier than anything Windows ever threw out.) As mentioned, there is a good chance there is a hardware problem, and you should start troubleshooting the physical computer, particularly the hard drive.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GOTCHA! I thought he was talking about FreeBSD. That's why I was wondering what he was smoking about a C:\ drive. lol

Move along, nothing to see here. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In his defense the more common acronym for this is BSOD. I can understand the confusion.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I thought he was talking about UNIX at first i was like wtf lol

Then the BSOD hit me
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "