Options

Oh, the stress...

misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just a little story to share with everyone

I was at my current job, out in the filed, driving to the office where I had to do some printer repairs. I receive a call from this lady that is from out of state (Illinois and I live in Florida). She asks if I'm interested in installing some servers. She doesn't even introduce herself, explain the company she works for, or what her job title is.

She says something to the effect of, "Hi, I saw your resume in Monster and was wondering if you wanted to install some servers for 'xxx' company." I say, "Um...Okay." She says, "Great. I'll send you some information through your email and we'll get started."

To make that conversation short I asked what the requirements are, what qualifications I need, and what do I do from then on.

I get the email from her the same day and I have to reply with all the information filled out in the attachments she sent. Here's the scary part: I have to put my SSN and bank account numbers for direct deposit. So I asked you guys for some advice. See http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20393

Almost three weeks go by and finally hear from the lady. She gives me more information about my job sites and procedures. Big relief but I'm still not sure if it's legit until I make to the location.

Anyway, I just finished my last of three nights doing this gig. Installs went perfectly, I met some new friends who knows some friends who knows some friends in IT. I might also get a hook up on some discounts from the store manager.

Moral of the story: Do some research before committing.
I was stressing out because I didn't know if this was a scam and I had already sent my paper work before I looked up the company in the BBB website.
Ask questions about the company.
And most important: Don't stress out too much.

Comments

• Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    You flew out to Illinois for this gig? Must've paid well or did they cover your travel expenses?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    misman1982 wrote:
    I have to put my SSN and bank account numbers for direct deposit.

Holy <expletive deleted> !
    I just fell out of my chair

misman1982 wrote:
    She says something to the effect of, "Hi, I saw your resume in Monster and was wondering ...."

This is exactly why I have taken my Resume off that site. As soon as I put it on there I got inundated with crap from all sorts of very lazy recruitment agency staff asking me if I would be interested in minimum wage rubbish the other side of the country.

You were very lucky that this worked out for you but I wonder if you would do it again even after checking out their website. Any website can be faked or put up as a front to scam you. There are far too many scammers on the net these days for me to even consider something like that.
    Kam.
  • Options
    I was lucky. Very lucky. The installs were nation-wide and I was called to take care of the northwest Florida area.

I guess there is a line that I should draw to having my resume posted on so many sites. I wouldn't mind doing it again and I asked if there were any traveling contracts available. I'm just trying to keep my options open.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing that experience with us. I'm sure several members will benefit from your story and the replies that come back.

What were some of the things you did to determine if this was legit, and what were some other things you can think of in retrospect that you wish you had done? For instance, I would not have included bank/ss information in the first email, explaining that I would like more information before disclosing such sensitive info.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The whole bank & SSN is to much for me. In the future ask for checks.
  • Options
    What were some of the things you did to determine if this was legit, and what were some other things you can think of in retrospect that you wish you had done?

I went to the BBB website and did a search on the company. If they're who they say they are, then the BBB would prove it.

I did opt out of giving my bank info because it was too much to include in the paperwork. I asked to send me a check.

I searched the Monster website and saw that the company did post other jobs. Their own website looked a little plain.

The other advice I looked into was in Monster. They had a link that showed what to look out for in job seeker scams.

It's really hard to determine what's real and what's not because you don't have concrete evidence to prove anything. It takes research and guts. I wouldn't give out personal information again like the way I did for this gig.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent, thanks. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Asking bank accnt and SSN is a big NO NO for me. Thanks but no thanks. You're lucky this wasn't a scam.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"