Options

Need advice if I should take A+

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Hello all,
I just recently obtained my MCDST. I work for a small company as their only I.T guy. I've always been comfortable at the software side of things so to speak. Whenever my boss tells me to even upgrade a computers memory i feel all jittery. I just dont feel comfortable with hardware. And i think maybe if i study for A+ i will get a better grasp of it? I just dont want to go on in my future earn my MCSA and be a system administrator for a large company and not be able to upgrade a server motherboard or processor.... Plus I know that A+ is a good life-insurence exam for those jobs like Geeksquad. So to be brief, I dont want to be just a software guy, I want to learn hardware before i continue on towards finishing my MCSA, do you all think is reasonable?

Thanks for your suggestions and insight.

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for A+ and if you have the time/funds go for Net+ also. Those certs are always good to have and will not hurt to have at all.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well if you want to do more, then get going :)

There are several people who are solely network/software people and don't waste their engery on hardware. There is nothing wrong with that. Certainly, if you understand hardware...you should find it less intimidating, but you could also read up and practice more hardware things without taking the A+ exams.

Either way, it's a good decision. Hardware is generally a lower-level position as just about anyone with an interest can do it.....to do it well, that's another story. You probably won't benefit much pay-wise but you may gain a sense of pride by having an A+.

So if you go for it, get the objectives and look into Meyers and Sybex for books. Or just get the books and skip the exam. No rush.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MaiZureMaiZure Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it is probably a good idea to take that A+ exam.

Just to give you an example, I'm a career Networking guy and we have several job positions open in my office (Help desk type stuff). Now our HR department doesn't know much about the tech side of the house, including certifications. When HR sees that a position asks for a cert like A+, they will screen resumes before they even hit the tech managers...meaning if you dont have that specific item, it gets put aside.

We had one situation where an engineer from MIT was turned down for a low position that he could EASILY fill...all because HR sees that the candidate SHOULD have a specific credential. They don't really know the difference.

In my option, why take a chance?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Personally I'd put the time in to get the A+ and then get the N+. You plan on getting your MCSA well getting the A+and N+ can be used together as the elective for MCSA. So that way you can have the feeling of ease when you do have to upgrade that memory or motherboard, plus your still working for your MS stuff. Plus it never hurts to learn more, the references i recommend for this exam would be Exam Cram, I read that and did Transender Exams passed with no problem whatsoever
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    having A+ proves them that you defenitely have knowlege on Computer Hardwares and OS fundamentals. It helps alot. Above all, it is the most asked cert by hiring managers. i think MCSE is second most, then CCNA is next. Correct me if i am wrong guys.
    Most people who has A+ also has Network+
    Those 2 combined together will give you a good foundation in your IT career.
    MCP is next on my list as i want to get MCSA, then i will go for CCNA. I dont think i will try for MCSE, because i need to finish my B.S in Information Systems.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    PsychobastardPsychobastard Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most people get the A+ before the other certs. icon_wink.gif

Absolutely go for it. I think you will find studying for the A+ somewhat easier than for the MCDST. I took a Continuing Ed class for my A+. I had far more "computer" experience that anyone else in my class, having been working in various segments of the technology industry for close to 20 years, mostly in QA & Testing. I'd also been building my own systems for years.

If you are truly a neophyte with hardware the A+ will be an excellent start... & it will look good on the resume` that you were willing to "fill in the blanks" for your career. It will also expand you options as you move forward. The more you support, the more likely you'll be laying your hands on the hardware. It WILL be a benefit!
    Benjamin Franklin described insanity as performing the same action over and over, expecting a different result. We do that every day. We're software testers.