Options

What should i do?

pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
So basically this is just a quick run down of my experience in IT thus far...

I've worked on computers since I was about 13 doing odd jobs and some web design before and after the tech bubble burst. I'm 22 now so that's about 5 years off and on IT work plus another 4 years of solid Full Time IT work.

Graduated with an A.A.S in IT Networking at the local IT college in 2003.
Grabbed both of my A+ and Network+ certifications in 2004.

1. Worked Helpdesk (software support) for a large corporation from 2003-2005.
2. Worked another corporate helpdesk (more money) from 2005-early 2006.

In June of 2006 it came to a point where I just couldn't do the call center thing anymore. My stats were good, and had the highest approval rating by the clients we supported but I absolutely hated my job. Working in a call center wasn't why I went to college for IT, yet it was they were the only places interested in me! To their dismay, I put in my two weeks and started up my own e-commerce business.

Fast forward about 7 months, the business is going VERY well. Granted I work 12 hour days, but atleast I'm working for myself and am at home enough to get things done around the house. I'm also earning more than I made in any of my previous jobs, with no real ceiling on the salary potential.

Here's the problem. I've been worried lately because while I've gained a ton of knowledge in general business aspects and web design (I do all the web design for the ecommerce site), I have not continued my IT education in any structured form. I haven't gotten a certification in 3 years and that really bothers me. I've signed up to take the I-Net+ test in two weeks and should pass that as long as I stay smart and study. My question is - where do I go from here? I'd really like to stay on the ecommerce track. Should I go for this e-biz+ or start on a CIW? There's so many more options added in the past couple years it makes my head spin :) If my business does not work out down the road I'd love something to fall back on, to show that I was still learning and working hard that whole time (education-wise) while running my business.

Thanks for any help guys.

p.s. I've also thrown around the idea of going back for my Bachelor's but the "college" I graduated from was bought up by the CEC corporation and they've pretty much run it into the ground so the credits probably won't transfer to another school and they are just way too expensive there now.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. First thing I would do is look into your credits and see if they are transferable. If they are, I would look into a good college around your area that contains a bachelor's program that is suitable to what you would like to do career wise. It's very important career wise to get your bachelor's degree. Many people have gotten into IT and are successful without a degree. You have to keep in mind that this is of course possible, but you very much limit your opportunities by not having the bachelor's degree. Take for instance, the company I work for. I absolutely love my job. I am a Microsoft Consultant who would have not gotten a job even with an MCSE and experience if I didn't have my bachelor's degree. They don't hire anyone without a bachelor's degree, period.

Other options are to skip your bachelors degree (highly not recommended) and skip right to obtaining certifications. This will help you advance your knowledge on specific skill sets that you wish to pursue. Of course a combination of the two is optimal if you obtain certifications after you receive your bachelor's degree.

I cannot tell you which path you should take. Only my recommendation is to go finish your bachelor's degree and then go get some certifications. During that time, I would keep doing help desk or try to find positions/internships working as a junior network/systems administrator improving your server/troubleshooting skills. Keep us updated on what you end up doing. Good luck to whatever you decide and hopefully it works out for the best. Take care.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icroyal is right good luck :D

if you can transfer the credits how long would it take you to complete the degree ?
    But I would rather work after completing my diploma
  • Options
    icroyal wrote:
    Welcome to the site. First thing I would do is look into your credits and see if they are transferable. If they are, I would look into a good college around your area that contains a bachelor's program that is suitable to what you would like to do career wise. It's very important career wise to get your bachelor's degree. Many people have gotten into IT and are successful without a degree. You have to keep in mind that this is of course possible, but you very much limit your opportunities by not having the bachelor's degree. Take for instance, the company I work for. I absolutely love my job. I am a Microsoft Consultant who would have not gotten a job even with an MCSE and experience if I didn't have my bachelor's degree. They don't hire anyone without a bachelor's degree, period.

Thanks for the welcome :). I know exactly what you mean. That first major corporation I worked for I was actually hired in as a contractor, and couldn't move up any further partially due to me not having a Bachelor's. I've found alot of similar sized companies won't even look at you without one.
    icroyal wrote:
    Other options are to skip your bachelors degree (highly not recommended) and skip right to obtaining certifications. This will help you advance your knowledge on specific skill sets that you wish to pursue. Of course a combination of the two is optimal if you obtain certifications after you receive your bachelor's degree.

I hear you on this. Atleast I have a decent jump on both areas since I already am half-way towards a Bachelor's and I already have the two basic certifications (A+ and Net+, also soon to be i-net+ in 2 weeks hopefully).
    icroyal wrote:
    I cannot tell you which path you should take. Only my recommendation is to go finish your bachelor's degree and then go get some certifications. During that time, I would keep doing help desk or try to find positions/internships working as a junior network/systems administrator improving your server/troubleshooting skills. Keep us updated on what you end up doing. Good luck to whatever you decide and hopefully it works out for the best. Take care.

Thanks for all of the advice:o . I'm going to finish off this final certification in two weeks and then really look into getting my Bachelors. Again, Luckily, I am extremely fortunate to own an ecommerce business in an growing sport so I don't have to worry about working in help desk! I am one of the lucky few in that regard being able to work for myself, on my own schedule, and in my own house. That's why working full time and getting my bachelor's seems so doable at this time. When/if I do take the Bachelor's degree road I am not looking for any IT position in particular, in fact it would be the opposite. I wouldn't be looking for any job other than working and growing my current business(es) but I still think it's really important to have a Plan B just in case something happens.
  • Options
    moss12 wrote:
    icroyal is right good luck :D

if you can transfer the credits how long would it take you to complete the degree ?
    But I would rather work after completing my diploma

This particular tech school / college runs classes 4 hours per day and year round, so I would finish up in a year and a half or less. icon_cool.gif It feels like alot of schooling but atleast you finish up much quicker.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First off, let me congratulate you on your own successful business. That is quite an accomplishment. A couple of thoughts.

- I'll begin with a negative (no more after that): Unless I'm mistaken, e-biz+ is currently only available in Japanese. Check the CompTIA website to be sure. Last year, I took an e-commerce college course, and read somewhere that our textbook was considered a quasi-official study guide for that particular exam. After digging through boxes for my notes and study guides from class, I found out about e-biz+.

- i-Net+ is the easiest cert exam I've ever taken. Your mileage may vary.

- Aside from a CIW track which, in my opinion, is quite good in its own right, you may want to consider two other e-commerce-related certifications for business purposes:

1. Certified eMarketing Associate - Check around for lower exam fees. Some universities can set you up through Jer Group for as low as $145 + book for this exam. North Carolina State is one. I believe residency is not a requirement.

2. Certified E-Commerce Consultant . I've seen professors with the CEC or CEA designation. This is not very expensive and should blend well with your current business. If the ICECC won't recognize your experience or business, you can take relatively inexpensive e-courses through them to obtain this cert.

Both of these certs are not especially recognized in geek circles. You'll likely find more business people and academics have seen these before. Also look at the e-commerce cert from the EC-Council.

- Education: Think about what you want. If you really like your business, how can you grow and improve it? I definitely recommend working on a bachelor's from an accredited school in a major you want, if possible. Even part time - one course per semester. Think business and marketing along with java and xhtml. My bachelor's opened doors for me that were previously closed through the years. I'm presently working on a master's that is expected to open other doors.

- Keep reading these forums! You are looking at the best place on the net to discuss IT certs and careers. This site is extremely well-run, and contains an enormous amount of perspective.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words oldbarney :D

- I passed the I-net+ exam today so I now hold a few of the basics (A+, Network+, & I-Net+)... I think that it's time to delve into a more serious certification track at this point.

I've been in contact with a few different schools in the area about what will transfer as far as credits are concerned, so we'll see what happens there I suppose. I just feel like now is the perfect time to continue my education since I have a stable business income that requires upkeep but I have the luxury of "working around" my school schedule.

I'll also be sure to take a look at the certs you mentioned above. Thank you all for your advice.
  • Options
    Thanks again to everyone for their replies, just an update on my situation:

I decided against going back to school. I'm holding onto my associates degree and doing certifications on the side (MCSA / MCSE), but I suppose I don't really plan on using any of them. It's more of an issue of pushing myself skill-wise than anything.

I sold my previous ecommerce business (offer that I could not refuse) to an investment firm and have launched an internet consulting business targeted towards small business. I'm also launching other projects including an Internet Business Magazine. Between those three options, my time has been very limited to say the least.

I did a lot of reflecting in the Bahamas and figured out that Business is where I belong. If I were to leave for two years to finish school, It would just put me that much further behind... and I wouldn't learn the types of things that I'm learning now. Most of my closest (and most successful) associates either hated school or never went. It seems to be an interesting pattern.

... anyhow, next up is the Microsoft 70-270. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck on 70-270!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    Well, you have had one successful business, I say take what you learned and give it another try.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
    milliamp wrote:
    As long as you don't neglect your education in the process, if you do elect to work for someone else later on you can probably take your experience and education and get something better than just a rank and file position.

This was somewhat along the lines that I was thinking. The fact is that I had neglected my education for about 3 years - not any more. I passed the I-Net+ a few months ago as a refresher course and am now back on track. I'd sleep much better at night if I had an MCSA/MCSE and a CIW to fall back on should my own projects ever fall through.