Options

Recording music from a record player

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know of a way to record music from a record player to a computer?

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Get a really good microphone, or a sound card with the proper inputs.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    If I remember my ancient history, the turntable plugged into the input of an amplifier and the tape recorded plugged into the amplifier's output. That USB turntable looks like the modern equivalent. I've never seens a turntable with a CD burner built into it, but that'd be a good way to go too (probably would be condemned by the RIAA anyway).
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:

That sure is an awesome device!! icon_cool.gif There used to be a popular software product (to filter scratches etc) but for $139 this looks like a much better alternative.
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    There are actually four different makes of USB turntables listed on Amazon (Audio Technica, Ion, Numark, and Sony). I can see the need of sound preprocessing using a program like Audacity, so a turntable with a built-in CD burner would not be a good thing to have.

I still have all my old albums out in my garage, but I'd hate to hear all the clicks and pops that are embedded in them now and see the termite-nibbled album covers. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    My turntable connects my internal PCI sound card with RCA jacks. I use Audacity to record the input, then I edit accordingly and save it as a .mp3.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDX/
    ^^^^
    Nice product.

I have an audiophile sound card that has midi in/out and rca stereo in/out. Then just hook the turntable to a mixer or directly to the sound card, and record the input with something like soundforge or wavelab.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I like the sound of old records. I have a very old one from Percy Sledge (When a Man Loves a Woman) and it just doesn't sound the same without the scratches. But I also have a couple that are crooked and have 'clicks and pops' and then it becomes annoying. Sold most of them long ago though, and right now I have a big box with CDs I'm going to sell for maybe a tenth of what they originally cost.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I like the sound of old records. I have a very old one from Percy Sledge (When a Man Loves a Woman) and it just doesn't sound the same without the scratches. But I also have a couple that are crooked and have 'clicks and pops' and then it becomes annoying. Sold most of them long ago though, and right now I have a big box with CDs I'm going to sell for maybe a tenth of what they originally cost.

I agree 100%. You'd be surprised how many modern artist go through great links to try and reproduce that sizzle and pop in the studio these days. For some reason when I hear it, it just takes me back to childhood holiday time (Nat King Cole on vinyl CANNOT be topped).
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:

I bought the Ion for my husband's collection of vinyl and I also pickup some 78s for nostaligic reason (and 3 huge boxes worth of old 78s for $2 at a garage sale....the lady was so happy someone wanted to preserve the vinyl she really would have given them to me :) ).

Anyway, the software with the Ion is freeware (though I don't recall the program) and it works pretty well. The neat thing is the Ion allows you to record at 45 or 33 and 'adjust' the speed so the 78s come through like they should. Otherwise, 33s and 45s play as they would on every other turntable.

Previously, we had wire strung through house to bring the sound in via an Audigy card and used a program that Adobe now holds licensing to (brain fog tonight on program names icon_redface.gif ).

Anyway the Ion and likely the other brands...save a ton of time and are VERY easy to use.

If you are looking to capture your old vinyl onto you PC, I could not find a better deal (at that time) for the cost.

FWIW (I like the 'scratches' too! I wanted my kids to hear them that's part of why I bought the 78s)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?