Options

I/O Base Addressess, DMA's, IRQ's, ETC.....

Practiced2DeathPracticed2Death Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone got any good ways for memorizing these? These have become a big issue for me and I would appreciate any tips the rest of you who have been around the block might have.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The more you use them the more familar they will be. Do you have a practice lab?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Regretably...no i dont. I've heard someone mention virtual labs.....????
  • Options
    VMware or VIrtual PC are both good choices. For practice with the physcial, I'd recommend having some older PII/PIII (or better, just not necessary) PCs so you can get familiar with different components and such.

The more you can DO outside a book, the better the book will help you prepare (IMNSHO).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Man, I really feel stupid.....I cant even get Virtual PC working right....lol..... how can I expect to pass A+
  • Options
    Man, I really feel stupid.....I cant even get Virtual PC working right....lol..... how can I expect to pass A+

What isn't working?

You need the application (guessing you are that far)
    Install it
    Load the various OS (so you will need to have a copy of the ones you want to run, free 120-day trials are always helpful if you don't have old copies laying around).

Depending on your system, you may find it easier to load a virtual CD to load the apps from.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    ok...perhaps i am more scared than anything......

ATM, I am attempting to install Win 2000 Pro in Virtual PC.....

I am at the point where I need to determine if I need to make a partition or not......

the question is......is this actualy going to occur "virtually" ... or am I going to end up formating my hard drive?
  • Options
    No it won't format your drive...it's preparing a file that VMWare will treat as a virtual drive.

Don't worry, it can be a little unnerving the first time through....always nice if you have a spare box to 'test' new things on so you don't trash your main system.
    Plantwiz
    _____