Options

Broadband Setup

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there

I'm rebuidling my dad's pc on the weekend with a plan to reinstall the O/S the thing which is worrying me is reinstalling the internet.

He's on Wandadoo Broadband 2mb i think

The modem is a ADSL speetouch modem which getting the drivers for should be fairly straight forward

The worrying bit is we have lost the internet setup cd so is there another way to create a connection

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Contact the ISP or check their website. They should have their setup instructions listed for a manual setup.

Otherwise, they can probably ship you a new cd.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    ally_uk wrote:
    The modem is a ADSL speetouch modem which getting the drivers for should be fairly straight forward

The worrying bit is we have lost the internet setup cd so is there another way to create a connection

Thanks

Is this a USB DSL modem? Is the modem connected to the PC through the usb? If the PC has a NIC, you could skip the USB connection, and use a CAT5 cable to connect the modem to the PC and in that case, you wouldnt need any drivers (except for the NIC, which is typically easier to find).
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    He stated the drivers 'shouldn't be a problem', as I read it he is looking for all the auto-config junk the ISP provides (SMTP/POP3/DNS/etc..)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    read quickly and didnt see the part about drivers...
    Plantwiz wrote:
    auto-config junk the ISP provides (SMTP/POP3/DNS/etc..)

hmm... I'm not aware of such a case....I've never encountered an ISP that require a specific driver/utility cd for their Internet unless if it's for a USB modem..what will their utility do? DNS should be auto-configured with DHCP (or should be provided already with static IP assignment), no? SMTP/POP and other mail options should be static, the only thing I could see a utility being helpful for is the user name and password which could also be done with Windows Network Connections.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    RIght, you can configure this stuff manually, but some of the ISPs provide CDs that they consider 'easy' setup. So running the CD populates the fields as well as if you wanted to create a network (and have no network skills) running the cd allows a home user a means to create a network and sharing files and such.

Never said it was a good way, but I'm guessing this is more along the lines of what he/she may be looking for.

Otherwise, all the info will be at the ISPs website.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Download any drivers you need prior to reinstalling the OS. Might be hard to download them after you find out Windows didn't auto detect drivers for your nic.

And I plead the 5th if anyone asks me why I mention that. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    sprkymrk wrote:
    And I plead the 5th if anyone asks me why I mention that.

That comment was not a Windows Validated Comment. Are you sure you wanted to post that comment?
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius