Options

MCDST vs. 70-270

giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
for those of you that have taken each of these exams, how similar are these to one another? It seems like they should overlap a good deal, but I wanted to see what people that have taken them think.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Of course, there would be some overlapping materials between 70-270 and 70-271, but MCDST has as its underlying purpose that of customer service. But, 70-272 will cover Outlook Express and Microsoft Office products as you deal with customers. You don't really get that in 70-270. The differences in XP Home and XP Pro are covered quite a bit. Some deployment of the system is covered, or helping others deploy the system in a private setting is covered.

70-270 will approach XP Pro as a network client, and mostly in a domain setting with you as Microsoft Network Administrator, not helpdesk technician. In this case, you dwell on setting up the system to perform flawlessly(ha!) in a commercial situation.
    All deployment methods as they apply to a network are covered.

Bottom line is, the 70-270 exam is going to be the toughest experience of the two. Better prepare for it well!

Hope this helps, and good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive already taken 70-270. all i need is 70-291 to complete my MCSA. im wondering if MCDST is worth it if i already have my MCSA.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    In my opinion "yes", I achieved the MCSA then the MCDST then the MCSE then my upgrades. Both certs are aimed at different types of jobs (the systems admin and the helpdesk). You learn something different if you do the MCDST if you already have the MCSA & besides it's another certs on your CV for your (pick one: ) 1. first IT job 2. next IT job 3. promotion.

-Ken