Options

Sending laptop to another country

reefreef Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am sending my son, who lives in Panama a laptop. Last time I bought a laptop the screen died out on him a few days after getting there. It was a very old computer and I was taking my chances with it. This newer one is about 4 years old. I checked on the electricity there and in the city they use 120V but otherwise it's either 80V or 60V but I am wondering if it would effect the computer or battery at all. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    reefreef Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well i just went to another website and it siad it is 110V and 60Hz there.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How about checking with the manufacturer? They may even have adapter available (for purchase) to all the notebook to be plugged in.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check the power transformer thingy for the Laptop, most are rated from 100-240 Volts, so that they can be used anywhere in the World.

The power supply should be able to take any voltage within its range, and convert it to the correct level required by the laptop.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this website. It shows, voltage, hertz, and connection types needed:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/international-power.shtml

Are you sure the 60-80 range isn't Hertz? The lowest voltage i was was Japan with 100v.

Most things will run off 110-120v and 50-60hz. I checked the laptop PSUs at work and they would take from 100 - 240v and 50-60hz range. Always double check though.♦