Going to work when ill?

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
With the way I feel now it made me wonder -

How many people go to work even when ill??

I always go to work, I damaged my knee last year and couldnt walk but still went to work.
I just cant stand sitting around doing nothing thats my problems i think....

When do you think putting on a brave face becomes a stupid face?

Just pondering waiting for the washing machine to finish lol icon_lol.gif
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the flu or cold or something like that maybe its best to stay home as not to spread it around the office.If you have a physical injury it depends on if you can do your job properly and also how understanding your boss is.I remember when i was contracting getting paid per day, the only time i missed a days work is when i was to drunk to wakeup.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I'm sick and at work right now. Everyone was sick last week, and I thought I might have escaped it... guess not. I have to feel so sick that I really feel that I wouldn't be able to do anything at work, before I don't go.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where I work, if you are sick so that you are contagious, everyone gets pissed off at you for coming in.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Unless you're dying...go to work!

(wash your hands, eat fruits, maybe take a probiotic, get lots of sleep and drink lots of water.....it will run it's course).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It depends on the workplace. I've been at jobs where you had better be carrying your head in your hand, or you had to go to work. The place I work now is a much more relaxed environment, and if you're sick they generally tell you to stay home and get some rest. Then again, a lot of work that I do can also be done from home, so I've had "sick days" where I'm sitting at my computer, VPN'd in to the work network, and still answering customer emails and doing a lot of the same work I'd be doing if I was at the actual NOC. (It's a convenient way of staying home from work, but not having to use up a sick day.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only way you get away with sick here is if your dead........
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I used to work at a place where you were allowed 6 days sick leave before HR would call you in for questioning. I had a colleague who counted those 6 days as extra holiday days and used them up every year. Same days sick each year which nobody ever figured out.

I'm a contractor now and last year got rushed into hospital as my throat closed up. Got hooked up to a pair of antibiotic drips and they said they were going to keep me in 3 days. Yeah Right. I'm not working, I'm not earning. Soon as the drips were empty I was off and back to work.

Generally, If I am too sick to drive to work or contageous enough to spread it around the office, I won't come in. If I am well enough to work from home, I will bill them for the time.
    Kam.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    as long as I'm able to get outta bed and function I go to work. Partially because I do ont like to miss time becuase I'll fall behind and partially becuase my boss is a workaholic and doesn't like seeing you miss time unless it is 100% necessary.

he had a serious medicla problem before and they had to tell him to stay home and even form home they had ot cut off his remote access. that's a little too hardcore for me but I've worked with people woh constanly miss itme nad force others to do their work it never palys out well for them in the end.
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    It depends on the workplace.

When I had the flu, I had my old supervisor told me to go home in fear of getting the other co-workers sick.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    Where I work, if you are sick so that you are contagious, everyone gets pissed off at you for coming in.

It's the same way where I work. Our sick policy is, if you are sick, stay home so you don't risk other people getting sick. If you come in, and are sick, people will get mad at you like you said. Everyone in the company has their own laptops, and we use vpn, so that way you can still work at home.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I don't really get sick, I have never called in. Rule of thumb is- If you are throwing chunks, don't come in. icon_eek.gif
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two years ago I had cancer and didn't know it for a while. It ruined my immune system and I got sick just by coming in contact with a sick person. It was neigh impossible to get rid of something once I caught it, a simple cold took 4-5 months to get rid of. I had the flu for 3 months.

That stunk. Once I got rid of something, I'd just get something else within a week or two. Everyone hated me. ;)

I say if your not sure, then speak to your boss and tell him that you don't want to hurt productivity in the workplace, and ask him if he thinks it's alright for you to be around other workers.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • GypsieGypsie Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may be alone, but if a co-worker is sick with the cold, flu or something else that is wildly contagious, I get quite irritated if they insist on coming into work. Unless they have a severely pressing issue that requires them to be at work, I would prefer they stay home and not spread their illness to the rest of us who can then in turn spread that illness to our loved ones who may possibly have compromised immune systems.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the general consensus here. If you're sick, stay home. I'm not talking about the "I stayed out too late and didn't get enough sleep" sick, nor am I talking about the "I have a headache" whiner babies (not counting migrains which are more miserable than people can imagine). If you have a flu, virus or bad cold - stay home or at least stay away from me.

I just got a haircut today. I got there just as the lady barber was finishing up an older guy there with his wife. They left, and before I could climb into the chair for my turn, the barber started complaining to the other barber (also an older lady) about the guy spreading his illness to them. She sprayed the chair down with lysol while complaining. Turns out the guy came in and mentioned he has been sick with a really bad stomach flu for 5 days, the same thing his brother is hospitalized with. However, he just had to have a haircut. Stuff like that is REALLY inconsiderate and REALLY ticks me off.

I do not admire people who feel that they have to come to work while sick.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I agree, if you are contagious stay home. If I have a bodily injury I dont use it as an excuse not to come to work. If my boss suggests I stay home then I will.

I missed a total of 2 days last year, period.
  • pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Going to work when ill? I suppose it has always depended on how much I like my job. Bad way to look at things I know, but it's the truth.

Now that I work from home there's really no excuse, unless I am too ill to get out of bed (happened one time in eight months).
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sprkymrk wrote:
    They left, and before I could climb into the chair for my turn, the barber started complaining to the other barber (also an older lady) about the guy spreading his illness to them. She sprayed the chair down with lysol while complaining. Turns out the guy came in and mentioned he has been sick with a really bad stomach flu for 5 days, the same thing his brother is hospitalized with. However, he just had to have a haircut. Stuff like that is REALLY inconsiderate and REALLY ticks me off.

What a jerk. I wouldn't have cut his hair, or got my hair cut after that.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    They left, and before I could climb into the chair for my turn, the barber started complaining to the other barber (also an older lady) about the guy spreading his illness to them. She sprayed the chair down with lysol while complaining. Turns out the guy came in and mentioned he has been sick with a really bad stomach flu for 5 days, the same thing his brother is hospitalized with. However, he just had to have a haircut. Stuff like that is REALLY inconsiderate and REALLY ticks me off.

What a jerk. I wouldn't have cut his hair, or got my hair cut after that.

Well it did cross my mind to ask to sit in the unoccupied chair of the third barber who was not there on this day. However, I found that worrying about that stuff too much only guarentees added stress. Lysol, limited exposure, and that fact that people are more contagious on the day before they come down with symptoms than they are after they have been sick for a day or two made me decide to not worry about it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where I work, if you're dead, you'd still better gets your @$$ to work.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where I work, if I were getting ready to die they would make me find a way to script myself so there aren't any gaps in service.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...