Options

CCSP hardware explanation

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
Which is better to have for the ccsp,
Pix 506E
Pix 520 Firewall UR/Failover 16mb flash with 4 FE's v6.3
Pix 515 64mb 3FEs v6.2

I'm not sure if the versions are important as i'll prob be able to upgrade.
Anyway would someone be so kind as to just give a breakdown on the hardware needed for ccsp and what the main difference is? It's not so easy to work this stuff out.
I've read on a thread that the ASA5xxx is better to have than a pix, can you tell me why and if there are different models of ASAxxx which one is suitable for ccsp and why over the others.Maybe i should both an ASAxxx and a pix in this case which is best.Im more concerned about whats being used in networks today as whats on the exam, so even to inform me of the difference here.
Anyway, i'm hoping someone can break this down for me!
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Short answer: The exam is on 7.x software, if you can get a PIX or ASA that is running it (ASA's do from the get-go, PIX boxes need the upgrade, officially the 506E cannot take 7.x). But you can get by with a 6.x box. Ideally you would have 2 ASA's (one with the AIP-SSM) in order to physically configure everything you would cover in the exam, but most of it can be done on one box and the rest learned.

Longer answer: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19026
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    theevilmuffintheevilmuffin Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've only passed the SNPA and I have a PIX 515 that is a failover unit - got this off ebay cheap and have upgraded the RAM PIXOS and activation key.

ASA's seem to be more expensive and you don;t get as much functionallity for your £ that you do with the PIX.

I'm not sure about a 501 or 506 as I've never touched one!