Options

Recording phone calls

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So a lot of times I wish I had a way to record my phones calls, in the event that I need to go back and review them.

Is it possible to have a phone conversation recorded and saved to my hard drive? I'm familiar with Voip sniffing using Cain&Abel, but I'd rather find a more discreet way to record my conversations. Is there software I can use to make the call, carry on the conversation and record it to my drive without the use of an actual phone?

Just going through my thoughts. I'm looking at ways to do this either through a computer or through a telephone. I'm open to *all* suggestions.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't think you are legally permitted to record a call unless you disclose this information to the caller beforehand. I'm not sure this was your intent, but something to keep in mind. Many recorded sessions do have that annoying little 'beep' to remind the caller what they are saying is being recorded.

5 cents.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    be careful the person needs to know they are being recorded that is why when u call into HP or MS they say this call is recored for quality assurance
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wasn't aware, well that's no good. icon_rolleyes.gif

So if the person on the other end is told that they are being recorded, then it becomes legal?

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check these sites out:

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs9-wrtp.htm

Basically, 38 states allow for taping a conversation if one party gives consent under federal law. 12 states only allow taping with consent from all parties.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your using the tape in court or try to blackmail someone. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The laws vary by state. Some states only require that one of the parties in the phone conversation be aware that they are being recorded; other states (like California) require that all parties in a phone conversation be made aware. You can't record a conversation in which you are not a party (eavesdropping), unless you are law enforcement and have a legal warrant. These laws also extends to other forms of electronic communication, such as radio transmissions. I think it's assumed that all communications over a computer network are recorded in some persistent way by the nature of the medium, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Skype has a call-record option. Alternatively it should work with any PC based VOIP package as long as the soundcard you use has a 'What You Hear' record option (though you'd need to enable the mic under playback (echo)). Then run an audio editor/recorder (like Audacity) in the background to record it all.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Does Skype's call-record feature only work for Skype-to-Skype connection? Recording Skype-to-Land Line connections would bring legal implications.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Does Skype's call-record feature only work for Skype-to-Skype connection? Recording Skype-to-Land Line connections would bring legal implications.

It certainly would see 18 U.S.C 2510 (2 at...

http://www.cybercrime.gov/wiretap2510_2522.htm