mnemonic phrases to help you remember the layers of the OSI

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
You need to know the seven layers in sequence, either top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. Here are some mnemonic phrases to help you remember the layers of the OSI model:

"Please Do Not Throw Salami Pizza Away" — this works for bottom-to-top.

If you don't like salami pizza, then how about seafood or spinach pizza instead?
"All People Seem To Need Data Processing" — a top-to-bottom reminder.

"APS Transports Network Data Physically" — APS refers to Application, Presentation, and Session. This one separates the upper and lower layer groups.

"Please Do Not Tell Secret Passwords Anytime" — Shh! Another bottom-to-top phrase

I used "All People Seem To Need Data Processing" myself and it was the first thing I wrote down before I started my exam and that was on the 2003 objectives..

Just thought I'd help some first timers out...

D-boy

Comments

• WillisWillis Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like the separation phrase of the upper and lower layer groups. I will have to make note of these. Thanks. You rock!!
  • TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice. These will help me
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's a link to a topic similar to this. Webmaster (Johan) also gives other links inside that thread.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20809
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Chalky69Chalky69 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This one has never failed me

Phil Donahue Never Tried Sexual Penetration Again

I got told this years ago and its one of the only ones i remember

LMAO
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    yup..they will be definitely on the exam..no doubt about it
    study these also:
    - PPTP/SLIP/LT2P/CHAP
    - Kerberos/SSL/ IPsec/ WEP/WPA/ 802.11 series<especially 802.11g and b>
    - voice and data channel capacities
    - data rate speeds on T1 and T3 <but not limited to>
    - DSL/ISDN <dsl dsl dsl dsl dsl>
    - read on tools <dont forget about Cross over cable>
    - TCP/IP <of course>, IPX/SPX, dont get confuse NetBEUI with NetBIOS
    - DNS <haa..they love to ask about that one>/ DHCP<must must must know>/APIPA <how it is related to DHCP>
    - Class A.B,C IP addressing schemes< especially on C, since it is in use nowadays>
    - read on Subnetting, but dont worry too much..this is not CCNA <and i really really hope someone would invent some kind of a OS platform that includes Automatic Subnetting Ability. its a pain in the you know..to subnet>
    - Utilities <*ping, *tracert,Nbstat,netstat,ipconfig(so easy even a cave man can do it)>
    - Interpret the outputs from the above utilities <i couldn't answer any of the questions on Outputs on the exam since i was not expecting too much on those..ewww bummer>
    -hmm what else??
    -oh! cables, connectors and their characteristics <must know Cat3 and Cat5>

Good luck guys!
    i am going for MCP next..the book is bigger than Network+ but its not hard as Net+ since i know half of the book already..Thank God i have XP, and willingness to mess with it all the time..hehe
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I actually got a question on the order of the OSI layers on the Network+. I used "Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away" - Except on a later question there was no answer for how Pizza works with data encryption icon_lol.gif
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Professionals Do Not Tolerate Stupid People Around.