Options

Are job hunters/recruiters worth it?

So far my job search has mostly been fruitless.

I have been thinking about going to a job hunter/recruiter for assistance.

I am hesitant going to a job hunter because usually there's usually a contract that has to be signed with strings attached.

What is the best way to approach a job hunter?

Should I phone one up and outline these are the requirements I want for a job? (E.g. pay the type of work I want to do?)

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How much looking for work have you done? If you have a job currently, it does hinder the process a little, but your more desirable to hire if you have a job presently.

If you are not working, make looking for a job your NEW full-time job. Be focused on your objective and keep shooting for it.

Many people get 'tired' of looking for work. Those who do eventually land a good position do so after much perseverance. Keep going!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if its different in the US than Australia and the UK but what strings are attached with recruiters?

Every job I have had has been through an agency or recruiter and I have never had any abnormal strings attached as opposed to working directly for a company.

Its only positive and in fact will drastically boost your chances of getting a job.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    These days, it is unusual to find an employer advertising their own positions. Typically most work comes through agencies who do the vetting of candidates and offer up a handfull for interview.

Contracting, the agency gets a portion of the hourly rate (20%-25%) as their commision. With Permanent positions, the agency typically gets 10%-15% of the first year salary as their finder's fee.

Most employers are used to this way of employing staff. It saves them all the grief of gathering in the right candidates.
    Kam.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    strauchr wrote:
    I'm not sure if its different in the US than Australia and the UK but what strings are attached with recruiters?

There was one contract that stated that I could not get another position for the company where the recruiter got me the job for at least 6 months.

So if I tried to get another position in the company I would have broken the contract.

There's also commission that is payed to the agency.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    So if I tried to get another position in the company I would have broken the contract.

This won't break a contract. The agency still wants their cut though. The principal being, you wouldn't be at the company if they hadn't led you there.

A lot of people try and pull a sneaky and leave the contract and try to get hired without the agency knowing. Take my advice, these agencys were not born yesterday and I have heard of agents camping out outside ex clients houses and see where they go to work after they leave a contract to catch them out or phone the switchboard and ask for you when you say you have left and switchboard puts them through to the new department you are working in now. Don't do it. It's not worth it. There is a minimum time clause usually on these contracts where you cannot go work for that company again without the agency getting a cut. Usually about a year.
    Kam.
  • Options
    jwlazarjwlazar Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my 3 years in IT I have reached the following conclusion:

IT Recruiters/Staffing Agencies as a general rule are crooked and borderline useless

Two years ago, when I had a CCNA and Security+, I solicited several local and global recruiting agencies to assist me in finding a fairly entry-level position in any company that could use my skills. Apart from a notorious call center that doubled as a sweatshop, there were supposedly no opportunities to be had in ANY company in the entire South Florida area. Some of the recruiters were downright rude and irritable when I called them to follow-up. Suffice it to say, I did a better job finding work on my own...

Ironically, after I posted my resume just recently on a few career-oriented websites, I did receive a few calls from these same agencies who expressed "renewed interest" in my qualities as a prospective candidate. I wasn't impressed.

The premise is this: the recruiters are not here to help you find any job. They are there to cherry-pick the best candidates that will bring them the biggest cuts from their clients for a few hours work.

You can do their job yourself. Don't waste your time just to take a voluntary pay cut. Besides, the company you apply for will respect you more if you take initiative rather than having a third-party take it for you.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    As anybody tried out this job hunter: Adecco.

For those who has tried Adecco out are they good at finding full time positions?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    For those who has tried Adecco out are they good at finding full time positions?
    I've worked through Adecco in Orange County, California. They specialize in high-tech work, which is what you want from an employment agency. I have no idea what percentage of their contracts are temp-to-perm, but a significant number of them should be.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    It is usually hit or miss with recruiters. It has been my experience that they often times only interview you to put your information into their database to meet a quota.
    I would only use them with caution and get the best deal you can. I havent had any luck with them for any high level jobs but i use them to gauge the market place. It still boils down to who you know or who knows you.
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    RATTLERMAN wrote:
    It is usually hit or miss with recruiters. It has been my experience that they often times only interview you to put your information into their database to meet a quota.
    I would only use them with caution and get the best deal you can. I havent had any luck with them for any high level jobs but i use them to gauge the market place. It still boils down to who you know or who knows you.

Signed. A gamble nonetheless.

I had experience with two recruiters. One interview and no feedback, although it was promised. Funniest thing was that I got contacted directly from the employer they were interviewing for.

Other one was totally unexpected call where recruiter asked, if I am allowing to relay my CV to some potentional employer, so they can contact me directly, totally on their initiative (I hadn't requested a job search).
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Inc wrote:
    RATTLERMAN wrote:

Signed. A gamble nonetheless.

I had experience with two recruiters. One interview and no feedback, although it was promised. Funniest thing was that I got contacted directly from the employer they were interviewing for.

Other one was totally unexpected call where recruiter asked, if I am allowing to relay my CV to some potentional employer, so they can contact me directly, totally on their initiative (I hadn't requested a job search).

Thats how I got my job.... Head Hunter had me go for an interview at a Federal Center....the head hunter never returned any of my calls....about 2 months later I got an offer from a goverment recruiter for the same position.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tek-systems(why is this xxxxed out?) has been wonderful to me... Everyone else has sucked.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    newdamage1newdamage1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking for several months, typically, the only calls that I get that lead to interviews are ones from direct hire ads.

99% of MY experiences from recruiters has been pretty worthless, most are clearly out to fill their quotas, and don't give a crap about the actual people they (kinda) represent. I'm building a list of recruiters that have been clearly scammers while dealing with me, I figure it would be fun to have them listed some where... icon_twisted.gif

/searching
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had overall good experiences with recruiters. It really is in their best interest to get you the most money possible. Many times their commission is based on your salary. I have found that most companies are using recruiting agencies rather than doing the hiring on their own. It seems like only the larger companies that have resources for full time hiring managers are doing their own direct hiring.