Options

19xx catalyst switch Questions...

jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
My laptop does not have a port to plug a console cable in. Can I use the RJ-45 end without an adapter and connect to the router that way?

If I purchase a WS-C1924-A router will I need to upgrade it to Enterprise software. If so, where do I get it and how much does it cost? (links please)

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jlambert wrote:
    My laptop does not have a port to plug a console cable in. Can I use the RJ-45 end without an adapter and connect to the router that way?

Thank You
    I have the same 'problem', my laptop doesn't have a serial port either...
    Although physically/technically it might be possible to use other connections, the limitation is often the supported connection in the terminal emulator (e.g. HyperTerminal). What I do, is configure an ethernet interface on the router with an IP address so I can telnet into the router using my laptop and a regular UTP connection...
    If I purchase a WS-C1924-A router will I need to upgrade it to Enterprise software. If so, where do I get it and how much does it cost? (links please)
    Yes, you will need to upgrade, to support the IOS CLI (instead of CatOS) and VLAN capabilities. The Enterprise software is typically more expensive than a used Enterprise Edition switch... don't remember it exactly but I think it was between $500 and $1000...

Unless you are going for CCNP (the BCMSN switching exam contains upgrading the OS on a switch from standard to enterprise, in that case you could buy a standard as well as an enterprise edition and upgrade the one with the software of the other... not exactly legal but as long as it is used in a home lab...... ;) ) you should buy a enterprise switch and save you the trouble... (money)