CCNP Boot Camp

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
One of my friends recently attended a week long CCNA boot camp. He told me that their instructor (who is a CCIE) went over everything the CCNA covered. He is confident that he is now ready for his CCNA exam. (My friend actually already had a CCNA, but it expired a couple years ago).

I just find it hard to believe that any one person could explain *everything* that the CCNA can cover in a matter of 6 days... how is that possible?
Are boot camps just brain ****?

I was looking around at CCNP boot camps online (I am studying for my CCNP), and filled out some info and got a call today:
This guy called me and encouraged me to come to their CCNP boot camp in Texas. He said that it is two weeks long, and all 4 tests are taken while you are there. So the first few days you go over BSCI or whatever, take the test, then move on...

What's the deal with this? I'm really curious.
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Hi,
    This offer is quite amazing but possible if you're already experienced and a network student.
    I suspect they use some **** utilization as nobody can get the cert in 6 days without any skills...

Good luck on your CCNP tests ;)
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mzinz wrote:
    I just find it hard to believe that any one person could explain *everything* that the CCNA can cover in a matter of 6 days... how is that possible?
    Are boot camps just brain ****?
    It is possible in one of two ways.

The first is to have requirements for entry into the class -- either experience or study before the class. It would cram a lot of information into a small abount of time, but with the proper pre-class preparation and a mix of classroom and hands on work, it could be done. And if the person actually used the stuff in their job, they could probably even retain the knowledge. And if they don't touch a router for a month after their bootcamp -- they'd probably forget 80% of it.

The other way is the one you mentioned. Those bootcamps that guarantee you'll pass your certification exam probably teach from a **** to keep their average up.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went through CCNA bootcamp TWICE. Two years ago, and again this year. Biggest waste of (my company's) money. I got assigned some other stuff right after my first try at it and fell off the track. Thought a second run through would help. It didn't... your assumptions are correct. Nobody in my class passed the exam the first time.

The guarantee is a gimmick. Yeah, the second free exam voucher kept me from paying my retake out of pocket. But if you fail the second go at it, they say you can resit another bootcamp. What a waste of time that would be. I'm speaking of global knowledge.

I did learn a lot in the class, and my instructors were good. But it's just too much material to cover in that short amount of time.

I can't imagine a 2 week NP bootcamp where you take all 4 tests. Hahaha.