Options

A+ Qualified but no work?

DruidDruid Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok here I am, passed my A+ HW & OS, but from what I read in here thats no big deal, I guess its the key of the door?, I've got my L+ coming up in April as I want to see what makes Linux tick and would be an asset to have.
I took an interest in Computers about 4 years ago and decided to do something about it after I was made redundant last February.
I've been in Sales & Management nearly all my life and at 50 decided that I wanted to do what I want to do instead of what I have to do, at 50 financially the pressure if off but you still have to eat.
At college I was approached to try tutoring, all I needed was my Cert Ed (two years study)and I could train others in what I had just learnt, but they cannot guarantee students, and there is no pay between terms.
I've signed up with numerous agencies, my CV I think is ok judging by what I've read here and I've applied for countless jobs............zilch.
All I seem to have achieved at the moment is being a freebie repair service for the family and neighbours, with the odd 'chargeable' fix

If anyone could offer advice I would be most obliged, I get a kick out of fixing PC's, you could say I'm a 'DIY freak', I would love to get a job where I could be out and about calling on customers fixing their systems etc etc, like a mobile repair service? or my idea of heaven would be a PC Repair Shop, but thats above my budget of 'nil'

The questions are,

1. What sort of jobs should I be looking for, help desk? technician?........?
2. Am I under qualified?
3. Is it the state of the market?
4. What should I be doing?

I know I'm at the bottom of the chain, but thanks in advance.

John
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Druid, congrats on getting A+ certified and good luck on Linux+.

Regarding your question - I think if you can endure the first several months at a Best Buy type of retail store in the Computer Repair department (of course you'll have to start out selling computer stuff first) you could be fast tracked past all the 17-21 year olds into a Lead or Management position with your experience and age (maturity). That might also be a good place to pick up a little side work that could eventually build you a client base if you ever want to start free lance work.

Customers will tend to trust you more and appreciate your soft skills, which should be a little better than most younger, inexperienced, new-to-the-working-world crowd who don't realize that slang, smoking, chewing gum, etc. are all major turn-offs to many customers.

The best way for you to get a job (IMHO) would be to hit the pavement and do some on site visiting of likely places. Show up in person and inquire about employment. I am betting you can sell yourself better in person than a resume that shows you've got an A+ but no experience.

There are plenty of benefits to potential employers in hiring a more stable, mature, adult even if he is new to the computer industry. Good luck! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey there, just like you many people get their A+ cert and it is the door opener for pc tech jobs, but it is very hard to get started in an industry where they like to hire people with 2+ years of experience (I always wondered where I was supposed to get that magic 2 years if no one would hire me). My advice is to hang in there and keep trying till you can get a job, even working for 6 months doing pc tech work in a crummy shop can open more doors for you than no experience. I would get out the phone book and call every computer shop in your town and ask if they are hiring, also check your local school districts and see if they hire pc techs (we have 3 levels of techs, a entry level, moderate level, and top level tech). The only difference between the A+ people who get jobs and the A+ people bagging groceries or other work is that the former didn't stop trying to get a job in IT. Good luck to you, my first job was for a crummy shop and I got fired after 7 months for a co-worker's mistakes (owner liked him more than me though), but after a few months I got a job paying me nearly double what I made before just from my A+ and small amount of experience. So keep your chin up and keep trying.
  • Options
    JJbiggleJJbiggle Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest moving to get you Xp cert 27-270, and possibly start doing some side work, this could help spruce up your resume'. You could simply advertise in the local paper. Best's buys geek squad is almost a $100 a service call, that would be easy to compete with.

True A+ is entry level but it is a start.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    borumas wrote:
    H.... but it is very hard to get started in an industry where they like to hire people with 2+ years of experience (I always wondered where I was supposed to get that magic 2 years if no one would hire me). .....

You can start in sales and show your willingness to work then may get escalated to basic support or hardware upgrades (board swapper).

You can also get some other job and volunteer to shadow a professional for 'free' to learn more about the IT world.

There are several good ways to get started. If you're in school, check with a counselor if in college a department head about job placement opportunities. It's only really hard for those who give up too easily. Keep in mind, the market is flooded with experienced professionals, so companies do not need to settle on a green person to 'give them a break' and blow a ton of money on training them so they can leave.

You can also negotiate an agreement as a green person to guarantee you'll stay with them for 'x' amount of years if they do allow you to 'train' with them.

Plenty of ways to get started!

As for our friend John,
    Keep trying, there will be something, but A+ alone really doesn't mean what it once did since the market is loaded with kids in and out of school with no experience and this certification. There are too many books on the exam out there and reading a book - to passing the exam -- has become the unfortunate new trend. Not saying this is bad, but the people who actually have many years in the field and learned this material by working with it are not jumping for joy that an A+ person applied for a job. You will need to PROVE yourself and how to do this will vary with each company you speak with. Be professional and persistent! You'll get something.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I've seen a filing clerk get a job in IT Helpdesk and she did really well without any sort of certification. She just knew how to help other users get through simple "pc use" issues. Anything beyond her techie comprehension she passed off to 2nd line.

2 years later she is in charge of all new PC image builds for an 8000+ user site and has 3 staff under her.

How she made that move was because she was on the inside of the company and moved sideways. If she had applied from the outside she wouldn't have stood a chance.

Desperate Measures.
    If you are seriously interested in getting a job in this profession and having no luck at all the say "Sod it" and then take no prisoners. Recruitment agencies, job boards, word of mouth, whatever you can. Just get on the inside and then start mentionig your certs when techies are around. If you can get on the inside straight into IT then great. If not then look for a big company you want to work for and get in anyway you can. Once in, then you start working toward getting in IT.

This is obviously not the best way but if your not having any luck any other way ....
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys for the words of encouragement,
    I didn't think it was going to be easy and you have made me feel more determined to keep pushing, I need to channel my passion I guess until something happens, either way, I'm not giving up!

Many thanks for your kind words of support guys, will keep you posted on how things pan out.

Druid aka John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Well I promised an update so here goes

At last!.......I have been scouring every possible site from a to z, agencies to job sites the length and breadth of the UK, I advertised in local papers both free ads and paid ads, I contacted everyone I knew that could help with my first role and guess what...........
    An obscure agency that I never heard of found my CV on a jobsite and contacted me two weeks ago, I've had two telephone interviews and just heard today that I not only did I pass security clearance but I've got my very first IT job!!!!

Ok, it's only contract work, but its helping with a very important desktop roll out for a blue chip organisation and thats a start.

I had to work at it and they found me......typical icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now I have two days training on the installs they want me to do then I'm away

EXCELLENT!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is great news. Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck to you! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok here I am, passed my A+ HW & OS, but from what I read in here thats no big deal, I guess its the key of the door?, I've got my L+ coming up in April as I want to see what makes Linux tick and would be an asset to have.

Going for the Linux+ and gaining Linux Admin skills will help you out a lot in your job search. In my opinion there are not as many people going for Linux certification as there are with Microsoft and Cisco. It helped me a lot when getting my first IT job. Good Luck
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Druid wrote:

At last!..........I've got my very first IT job!!!!

EXCELLENT!!!!

FANTASTIC!!
    Congratulations and thank you for the update!!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    sthomas wrote:

Going for the Linux+ and gaining Linux Admin skills will help you out a lot in your job search. In my opinion there are not as many people going for Linux certification as there are with Microsoft and Cisco. It helped me a lot when getting my first IT job. Good Luck

Firstly, Druid, Congrats!

Secondly, I have to agree with sthomas... Sometime within in the next year I will be studying and going for a Linux+ certification myself just because it will set me apart from many other MCSEs (I'm not there yet but only one test away and I am determined to pass it!).

Good luck with your career in IT.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Druid wrote:
    I've got my very first IT job!!!!
    Congratulations! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone much appreciated.

I'm carrying on with my studies however and will try and see how far I can get, I'm doing the lead up course (Network Essentials) to N+ then will go on from there, the Linux course was cancelled by the college, not enough interest apparently, but that'll not stop me taking it in the future.

I must admit B & Q (National DIY Store in UK that takes on the over 50's) was looking inviting..........that was the biggest worry :D

Here's one 'grey hair' that aint going there icon_wink.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Druid I admire your passion, congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Hi Druid, congrats on getting A+ certified and good luck on Linux+.

Customers will tend to trust you more and appreciate your soft skills, which should be a little better than most younger, inexperienced, new-to-the-working-world crowd who don't realize that slang, smoking, chewing gum, etc. are all major turn-offs to many customers.

i agree with him.
    the older you are in life, the more you will get respect.
    i like to congratulate on getting A+ .
    A+ alone will be little hard to get you to the door step of IT field.
    Most people with A+ continue to get Network+ for the conjuction achievement.
    Those twos will prove to the employers that you have good knowledge on O.S and Networking environment.
    IT field is becoming the most competitive job market today as more and more people are gettting certs.
    I myself had been looking for IT job as a help desk or tech support for almost 8 months, and i finally have an interview at Computer Games industry tomorrow at 10:30 am..it is about time!! lol

well..hope you find a job, and get more certs!!
    good luck sir.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Druid wrote:

At last!.......I have been scouring every possible site from a to z, agencies to job sites the length and breadth of the UK, I advertised in local papers both free ads and paid ads, I contacted everyone I knew that could help with my first role and guess what...........
    An obscure agency that I never heard of found my CV on a jobsite and contacted me two weeks ago, I've had two telephone interviews and just heard today that I not only did I pass security clearance but I've got my very first IT job!!!!

Ok, it's only contract work, but its helping with a very important desktop roll out for a blue chip organisation and thats a start.

I had to work at it and they found me......typical icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now I have two days training on the installs they want me to do then I'm away

EXCELLENT!!!!

sorry..didn't see this post
    Gratz!!!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    osiris69osiris69 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got A+ Network+ and CCNA and I'm the same age as you. I thought that once I got my CCNA I would get a job but there is one big problem. AGENCIES when I got my A+ and Network+ and made enquiries and they did not know what they were. I have had more joy by getting onto companies directly. The agencies will not put you forward if you have no commercial experience for anything. On the other side of the pond someone will get work with the A+. The whole point of A+ is to get people started in IT positions.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember A+ only a very basic skill level and certification only help you to enhance your skill. It don't mean that you will get a job. You will get a "better" chance for a job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Congratulations on the new job! It wasn't very long ago I was in the same situation. It is very difficult to get that first opportunity in IT these days. But now that you have your start keep plugging away at your certifications and prospects will only get better!