problems logging on to the domain! :[

Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

For some reason I have intermittent problems connecting to the domain. I have 2 machines, both running 03. One is the DC, the other just a member server. Sometimes I can log on and connect to network shares, np. Other times it says the domain isn't available, or I can log in just not access network shares. However, I can always ping each machine from the other. Any ideas ?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DNS, DNS or DNS. Just a guess....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamitehydedynamitehyde Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you authorised DHCP?? This might help
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm not sure you're even using DHCP, but if you are it does need to be authorized. I doubt this is the problem because it usually wouldn't cause the behavior you're describing. The connectivity issues would be more persistant.

Here's a few things to check. First are your workstations being allowed to update their own records in DNS? DHCP can and should be doing this, but you have to make sure that the dhcp server is a member of the DNSUpdateProxy security group in order for this to function properly. Check to see if the "register this connections addresses in dns" box is checked in the tcp/ip advanced properties on your nic (it's under the DNS tab). Check your DNS server and see if the "only allow secure dynamic update" option is what you are configured for as well. These are some basic things to check.

Also, don't forget to check the quality of your wiring and infrastructure, these problems could very well be phyiscal in nature.