Options

WOW (World of Warcraft)

2»

Comments

• Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    wizmyth wrote:
    Who here plays WOW (World of Warcraft)? I have been thinking about getting this. Is it worth the $15 a month?

8 million subscribers world wide...there must be something to it...LOL.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You can say the same thing about tobacco, alcohol, opium, and chocolate too. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    You can say the same thing about tobacco, alcohol, opium, and chocolate too. icon_wink.gif

what's wrong with chocolate ?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I played these games for years and got really addicted to it. Really really addicted. Partly because the games were great (everquest, star wars galaxies, etc), I had some good online friends but mostly because I have a weakness in my personality that allows me go get deeply addicted to these games. Even when I was at university, I nearly failed my first year as I was writing a whole new zone for an Abermud (early text based online roleplaying adventure) based in Aachen in Germany even though I was studying at the university of Kent.

Lost a lot of time with my kids and wife and lord knows what else I could have been doing with the years I spent hooked into these games before I finally ripped myself away from it, deleted my very high level characters, smashed the CDs, etc. I still have to keep a check on myself to this day as I could quite happily start playing again. I have to avoid going in computer games stores.

I am not sure if this is still the case but at one time, these games were banned in Spain and the whole country had a network ban in place to stop its population from reaching any online game servers.

If you are the sort that can really get into anything without keeping a good balance of all things then I would advise to stay clear of these games. Hours, days, weeks, months and even years can just dissapear.
    Kam.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Kaminsky wrote:
    I nearly failed my first year as I was writing a whole new zone for an Abermud (early text based online roleplaying adventure) based in Aachen in Germany even though I was studying at the university of Kent.
    Boy, this reminds me of my early college days. I played D&D for 12 years (on paper, not the computer) and I would sit in class designing dungeons, character classes, and adventuring plots while ignoring the lectures and forgetting to study for exams. I could still pass classes I ignored with an average grade, but that was no way to get an education.
    Kaminsky wrote:
    I finally ripped myself away from it, deleted my very high level characters, smashed the CDs, etc. I still have to keep a check on myself to this day as I could quite happily start playing again. I have to avoid going in computer games stores.
    That takes an amazing amount of will power to do and to maintain. I never had a "come to Jesus" moment which caused me to give up D&D; my friends all graduated and moved away and I just switched over exclusively to playing computer and arcade games. However, now that I both work and play on computers, it's gonna take a heart attack before I start getting some regular, physical exercise. icon_eek.gif