Options

Can/when can I make a follow up call?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I had a phone interview (typical screening bs, etc.) the thursday before president's day with an IT manager of the company from California. The 20th I had a one on one (actually 2 on 1) interview in person at the company in chicago. The interview went awesome, the guys seemed really laid back, we really seemed to mesh. They told me that I would be hearing from them (either one of the two or the IT manager). I've sent my Thank you letters in, and was wondering... do I just wait it out? Or is there a timeline where I can call the IT manager or email him and ask him whats up? Professionally of course...

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    At the conclusion of a job interview, always ask when you can expect to hear back from the company about the position. You'll usually get "a week or two" as the answer. If you do not hear after the stated length of time, you then call to declare that you are still interested in the position. If they didn't say when they'll be making a decision for the next round of interviews, I'd call back now and ask where they are in their hiring process for that position. If they said, "don't call us, we'll call you," don't bother calling back at all.
  • Options
    I'll probably give him a call back during my break tomorrow since I'm a little bit swamped right now at work...

The wierdest thing at the interview was how surprised the guy was when he saw the company application. He was like, "I don't remember it being this big, sh*t".

Made me think I was the first/only person they had interviewed.
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah waiting for an answer is hawful, I understand how you must feel, I would send them an email

What is it you call a "thank you letter" ?
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    If they bother calling you back most likely you didn't get a job.

I find callbacks to be more an annoyance to employers.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    zebra-3 wrote:
    yeah waiting for an answer is hawful, I understand how you must feel, I would send them an email

What is it you call a "thank you letter" ?

Type out a letter and mail it if you send anything. In fact, this should be done immediately following the interview. And in your letter you can state that you will call them in 'x' week/s. Then make sure you DO call.

Generally, I've never found it a good plan to 'wait' for them to contact me. I've always made first contact and it's been successful for me....but it may be my personality, so play to your strengths and stick to your word however you handle it.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    So I wrote them and got this encouraging reply back... Hopefully the stars will align and I will get the position...

"Thanks for checking in. We're still in the process of talking to some other candidates. We do feel that you could potentially be a great fit for the role. We should have a decision made by the end of next week so we'll give you and update then."
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congrats!

Still isn't an invitation to sit back and wait, so after the 'end of next week'...if you haven't heard, don't feel too bad calling the following Monday to inquire how the process is coming along :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?