Options

Another Technical Phone Interview Question

Sunshine_54Sunshine_54 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm finishing school in April and I started applying for jobs. The position I applied for is a technical support job for a virtualization company.

I already had one phone interview with this company and it turned into a simple technical interview. Eg (what is a linux runlevel, how do i check the installed software in redhat, how do i view system logs in windows, what is tcp/udp).

Anywho, I passed that but have another technical phone interview next week and it's going to be on troubleshooting. I'm really looking for a job that will give me good experience and dont have alot of experience myself with hardware or troubleshooting other than theory. Any ideas what types of questions they might ask? And is this job too over my head do you think?

Anywho any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    How you go about diagnosing a fault.

Best way is to try and split possible problems in half, then half again, then half again until it can only be one thing. Many people use a step by step approach but in my years of doing support I find this way quicker to find unknown faults.

Say a user can't see the internet. First check if anyone else in their office is having the same problems then check to see if the web page isn't down by trying a different site. If cant get to the other site, check they can ping their gateway. This is an odd next step to some but you will discover if the problem is with their pc or with the network. After that, start honing in on further posibilities.

Other questions may need you to mention keeping records of faults for later fault finding and stuff like that and getting back to users with updates on ongoing fault calls.

Good Luck
    Kam.