Options

How to deal with an employment gap?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
In my resume I have about a 2+ year employment gap between one job to the next.

In that gap period I was job searching and also taking courses for two certifications. I also found the IT market slow when I was job searching.

But I got a feeling that employers are not taking kindly to the employment gap I have in my resume.

How do I present myself better so that employers are not scratching their heads.

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    smudge the dates a little. 2 years is a long time to be job hunting with no luck so come up with something that you were doing. Taking a break whilst certifying, looking after a sick relative, etc. DOn't volunteer this but if asked you will have something constructive to say. Don't go into any depth if asked.Just brush over it lightly.

I'm not saying lie just be vague. The fact you had a 2 year break shouldn't make any difference to whether you can do a job or not. It is just something for them to pick on in interview. Saying you couldn't find work is not the right answer.They won't believe it and just think your lazy.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:
    smudge the dates a little. 2 years is a long time to be job hunting with no luck so come up with something that you were doing. Taking a break whilst certifying, looking after a sick relative, etc. DOn't volunteer this but if asked you will have something constructive to say. Don't go into any depth if asked.Just brush over it lightly.

I'm not saying lie just be vague. The fact you had a 2 year break shouldn't make any difference to whether you can do a job or not. It is just something for them to pick on in interview. Saying you couldn't find work is not the right answer.They won't believe it and just think your lazy.

I am not even to the at interview point yet, but I think employers are not calling me up because of the 2+ years employment gap that I have.

I don't know what to do about that.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd say the best thing to do is to leave the resume as is, don't try to put any kind of explanation in there about the gap, simply let the dates speak for themselves. If you're asked about the gap, simply explain to the interviewer the exact same thing you told us. You were taking some certs, looking for a job, but the market was slow. As long as you tell the truth, especially if you have some certs and courses to show for the time you spent not working, you've got nothing to worry about.

One thing you could do is list the dates you got your certs and the dates you were taking courses, so that they show up as being inside that gap of time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just say "personal reasons". Employers don't have the right to all your info.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    I'd say the best thing to do is to leave the resume as is, don't try to put any kind of explanation in there about the gap, simply let the dates speak for themselves. If you're asked about the gap, simply explain to the interviewer the exact same thing you told us. You were taking some certs, looking for a job, but the market was slow. As long as you tell the truth, especially if you have some certs and courses to show for the time you spent not working, you've got nothing to worry about.

One thing you could do is list the dates you got your certs and the dates you were taking courses, so that they show up as being inside that gap of time.

I don't know how to organize my resume.

I think it will start looking messy once I start to merge my education and employment as one.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Gundamtdk wrote:

I think it will start looking messy once I start to merge my education and employment as one.

Definitely don't merge your information, that will make your resume look very unprofessional. If you don't know how to write your resume, then I'd suggest getting help. Job boards like Dice and Monster offer that kind of service.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Do you think I should explain my employment gap in my cover letter? (E.g. I was taking courses before I got my current job)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    One thing you don't want to do is lie on your resume. I've found that employers will only overlook an employment gap if you were in school at the time, which resulted in a degree or certificate of some sort. Even unemployment caused by a prolonged stay in hospital will not be looked upon favorably by an employer. It's also dubious how working two years for a service organization (e.g., church mission, the Peace Corps), or being self-employed, will look to a high-tech hiring manager. However, if you have skills that the employer really needs, they'll take a chance on you regardless of what's on your resume.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Gundamtdk wrote:

There's a software package which I use called ResumeMaker Professional by Individual Software. It's extremely easy to use as well as very customisable.

http://www.individualsoftware.com/

Upon creating a new Résumé, it steps you through a series a questions - i.e. name, address, and a few others.

Then you can customise "sections" which can be renamed. For example, you can add an "Education" section and there you add cards. So each car would be a step in your schooling. There are plenty of sections which you can customise.

It also has audio tips. Some dude tells you about each section and how you should fill it in. There's also plenty of help in the forms of files and audio.

Once you're done, you can export to Word or RTF. If you have Acrobat, you can print to a PDF.

It's the best package I've used. It's able to format your résumé and be flexible too without making the whole thing look inconsistent.

You could check to see if they have a trial version.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Never lie if you want a job!

Also, it's a prime reminder why it's a good idea to ALWAYS have a job unless you are too sick to work. Plenty of time in the day for full-time work and full-time school (unless in a medical program....they keep students extremely busy). So at least have Part-time work while at school.

As an employer I'd wonder why some job couldn't have been performed in 2+ years...nothing on weekends or evening was available?

Anyway damage is done, so now be honest and emphasis the certs you have earned in those 2 years and the education you've gained. I wouldn't recommend highlighting the fact you didn't work, but I would probably highlight the education....if asked, then answer directly and truthfully.

Next time, take any job...even scrubbing toilets....as you can see the old saying..it's easier to find a job when you have one rings true more then ever. (sorry not trying to drag that point out).

Good luck, keep looking and make finding a job your full-time job until you land it now! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?