Options

Help please...I'm at a crossroads

vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
I made a career change in Sept 2005 and got a job at the helpdesk in a bank supporting about 2000 users and workstations in a Microsoft 2000/XP environment. Phone support and deskside software/hardware support are the extent of my corporate experience (including Active Directory Users and Computers, Outlook in Exchange environment, MS Office 97, 2000 and 2003, proprietory software). At home, I've set up a domain with only one server and four workstations. Since Sept 2005, my focus was mostly on learning on the job, perfecting my already considerable "soft" skills, and garnering a reputation as a very reliable and dependable employee willing to participate in projects (helped admin install server and facilitating Tech Liaison meetings). Since then I made the transition to focusing on a more structured learning environment. I've since picked up A+, Net+, MCP (270) and pursuing 290 and 291 which will get me MCSA hopefully by the start of the summer. I picked up HDI's Helpdesk Analyst and Helpdesk Manager certs as resume dressing as they aren't technical in nature. I am starting the pursuit of a BS degree in Comp Sci in the summer and will pursue other certs.

I'm under no illusion. I recognize that I'm still new to this field and have a LOT to learn. I want to make the jump to junior admin or admin (if I'm super lucky) before the end of the year. But there is a bit of a log jam in my company as the admin group is a bit full. Should I stick around where I've built a very solid rep, at the risk of being caught in the bottleneck, or do you think that there is enough movement from company to company for admin level folks, that I should bide my time? Should I aggressively shop my limited skills, or focus much more on building my skill set. I know that I have to do all these things to be successful, but where should my focus be? Can you rank them in order of importance. Thanks for listening (reading) to my rants and ravings.
Certified Lunatic.

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Getting these exams while you are still helpdesk/pc support is a great idea and shows good initiative. You'll go far. Don't underestimate the soft skills. My time on helpdesk / pc support serves me well even to this day. Being able to walk into stressfull situations and difuse them and get the job done quickly and you and the user part ways in a friendly manner is not an easy skill to master. (Some don't even know it exists)

To be honest, I think you should get your mcsa and get out of there. Server guys are incredibly sedantry people and don't like changing jobs much so there is a very good chance a spot won't open up for years and then there is no gurentee you'll get offered it when it does.

Keep getting as much exposure to the servers / network directorys / security permission setups as you can in that time. The BS degree is a very good plan.
    Kam.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    You are doing the right thing by getting those entry level certs out of the way . From my expereince its going to be the soft skills that will set you apart. I work for a state agency with a reputation for poor customer service. To make a long story short i have focused on sharpening my soft skills along with my tech skills abd its working out for me. When i first started here people were intimidated by me but once i softened my style they are more comfortable with me. It is to the point now that people listen and respect me for the service i give them. Just keep doing what you are doing because it will pay off. Get that degree but dont forget to network because its who you know for real out here
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RATTLERMAN wrote:
    You are doing the right thing by getting those entry level certs out of the way . From my expereince its going to be the soft skills that will set you apart.

Surprisingly, you are not the only one to mention this. I've heard this from other folks in more advanced technical positions than myself. They also mentioned that the soft skills were very important to advancement, as it set them apart from the "crowd."
    Certified Lunatic.