CCNA LAB

configure terminalconfigure terminal Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hallo,
Just started studying for the CCNA and having some trouble setting up my lab. I've got my hands on 3 2501 routers and 2 1900 catalyst switches. Pretty much set the routers up but having a nightmare with the switches. Am currently trying to set up the switches for VTP and VLAN labs. Anyone got a solution to my problems? I also seeking a QUALITY workbook to cover all the basic router and switch configs.[/b]

Comments

• GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    Be aware that the CCNA exams dont cover the 1900 switches anymore.

Theyre configurations differs lightly from new switches.

I think in the first place on the configuration of vlan and vtp.
  • configure terminalconfigure terminal Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Be aware that the CCNA exams dont cover the 1900 switches anymore.

Theyre configurations differs lightly from new switches.

I think in the first place on the configuration of vlan and vtp.

Is that a kind way of telling me they're pretty much useless. How can I make the most of them for certification purposes?
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Sell them and use that money to help you buy proper switches
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, it's best to get rid of them (and get a 2950).

As for labs:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1023

Or check out our sponsor www.TrainSignal.com
  • aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I agree, it's best to get rid of them (and get a 2950).

As for labs:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1023

Or check out our sponsor www.TrainSignal.com
    Have the Cisco 1900 series switches been completely removed from the CCNA exam (ie, you won't get a question on them or a simulation involving them)?
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, and that already happened quite some years ago. There are some minor things you can do like STP, but all-in-all using the 1900s can actually be confusing.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Is there any other catalysts similar to the 2950, my budget is kinda limited and don't have the extra cash for a 2950 right now? any suggestions to that....i was also told that the questions on the switch seemed to be more theory than applied on the CCNA exam
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote:
    Is there any other catalysts similar to the 2950, my budget is kinda limited and don't have the extra cash for a 2950 right now? any suggestions to that....i was also told that the questions on the switch seemed to be more theory than applied on the CCNA exam

There are some practice sims on the CCNA prep center. Sign up for an account and then go to the "exam study" section...it's free

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kaminsky had just posted the link to the free CCNA workbooks on lulu.com in the last few days. You can download the eBook version for free or pay to get a paper copy.
    Here's that thread with the link:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21554

You can use the 2900 series switches for the CCNA and into the CCNP. The major difference will be no range command and differences with QoS (or lack of) and Multicast when you get to the CCNP.

My 1 1900 series switch cost me $1 plus shipping on eBay. You can use the 1900s for OSPF DR/BDR elections... and as another switch when you do STP.

My 2916 cost $22 plus shipping.

My 2950-12 cost $153 and my 2950-24 was in the $180s (plus shipping).

I'm somewhere between $5-6K for my 2 3550s and 2 3750s.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    My 1 1900 series switch cost me $1 plus shipping on eBay. You can use the 1900s for OSPF DR/BDR elections... and as another switch when you do STP.

My 2916 cost $22 plus shipping.

My 2950-12 cost $153 and my 2950-24 was in the $180s (plus shipping).

I'm somewhere between $5-6K for my 2 3550s and 2 3750s.

Would you recommend using any of these switches then for practicing for CCNA or should I just keep trying to find a deal on a 2950?
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 2900 models are close to what the exam covers and are a lot less expensive than 2950's

The main difference is in setting up VLANs. The "vlan database" command is being phased out in favor of setting up VLANs in config mode.

I use two switches in my lab, one 2924 and one 2950.

If you go with 2900s, just read up on the differences. There aren't many.
    Thanks,

I'll keep looking then :)