Frame Relay Switch

LearnAsIGoLearnAsIGo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Background Info:
I was on a rack rental session, able to ping all directly connected interfaces.
1) FRS - 2610
2) R1 - 2611XM
3) R2 - 2611XM
4) cat1 - 3550

1) On 'sh cdp neighbors' command, the frame-relay switch is not listed?
The only device that shows up is 'cat1,' which obviously is the catalyst switch. The second router won't show up because I know only DIRECTLY CONNECTED cisco devices show up.

I tried searching cisco.com, among others, but failed to locate such.

2) When I get ready for another lab, is there a difference between:
2A) issuing wr erase/reload on a router

2B) issuing 'default interface interface'
no router routing protocol
etc.

It seems to take forever to watch the router reboot, but if I type pretty fast (option 2B), I am able to get the router to a "blank state" much more speedily.

My guess is, in the real world, wr erase/reload is a rarity?

Am I wrong? Close? Much thanks in advance.

Comments

• darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cdp is disabled by default on frame relay interfaces.
    you have to manuallly enable it on both ends.

if you have vaild lmi it should work fine.
    rm -rf /
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    And for question 2....

When you're first learning this stuff, A is less likely to cause problems and you can focus on what you need to learn in the lab. With B -- you may forget an "etc" and then waste time before you realize your starting configuration wasn't what you expected.

While practicing technologies for the CCIE lab, I use "B" all the time.... and occasionally lose a few minutes catching an issue caused by a left over configuration.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • LearnAsIGoLearnAsIGo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkuser - Thanks, I tried it just like you said, worked like clockwork. Now if I could only find it in the cisco documentation - just nice to be able to know where it is in "THE BOOK."

mikej - I find myself preferring "B" more and more to start the next lab. I resort to "A" when I've royally messed up. When I use "B" it forces me to mentally go backwards through the list, after having previously gone forwards through the config process.

Guess I prefer it because I mentally picture applying the config with a squeegee, and then "peeling it off" later.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LearnAsIGo wrote:
    Guess I prefer it because I mentally picture applying the config with a squeegee, and then "peeling it off" later.
    That in itself is a good sign -- it means you understand what you're doing. :D

But there are people who do the labs like zombies and perform each step without even trying to understand it. Those people need to do the clear & reset because they couldn't figure out what was wrong if they had some "leftover" config affecting their results.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • LearnAsIGoLearnAsIGo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    But there are people who do the labs like zombies and perform each step without even trying to understand it. Those people need to do the clear & reset because they couldn't figure out what was wrong if they had some "leftover" config affecting their results.

Apologies if I'm straying off in this thread.

You have just described ever perfectly what I USED to do during a rack session. But as with most lessons I've learned, I learned the hard way.

Lesson # umpteen-thousand:
    Don't just mindlessly type the commands in and flip the page. It will definitely linger to bite you later.

Also, thanks for the encouraging words - much appreciated.