Is the Boson Simulator worth the extra money?

deanogormandeanogorman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I was just about to buy the Boson CCNA simulator for $149, but I was recommended the Semsim router that only $30. Does anyone have any experience using wither and which would you recommend? Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!

Comments

• IncInc Member Posts: 184
    I would strongly recommend Dynamips

1. It's free
    2. It's not an emulator per se
  • sudharsan_nsudharsan_n Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When compared with Boson and Semsim. the boson is the best. It is worth buying instead of buying Semsim.

In Boson you can create your own Lab and start working in no time. However in Semsim I dont think so. You can try downloading demo and check it out yourself before buying.

You can use any real time telnet client progrm to access to simulated router / switch so that you can have real time feel of the router and switch.

However as Inc says Dynamips is also worth trying since it emulates a real router. Though the software is free, you need to have a Cisco IOS image to install it. For that you need to have valid Cisco CCO login.

I am not sure Dynamips also provide for any switch.

Inc can you through more light if you have used it about how to design our own Lab in Dynamips?
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    All you need is a supported IOS image and sample labs (included in package) to get acquainted with syntax.

You can dedicate a router to serve as switch by adding appropriate module into available slot.

Useful links:

http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/tutorial.htm
    http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/blog/
    http://7200emu.hacki.at/

Good luck! :)
  • deanogormandeanogorman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great guys - Thanks for the advice! icon_thumright.gif
  • djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just thought I'd send out another endorsement for boson. I think it's worth 150. If you don't want to/can't get dynampis running, this is the way to go. I failed my first exam cause I think I missed all the sims. Got boson, and even know it wasn't perfect, it gave me the confidence I was looking for.....

For NP though, I think I'm going with dynampis.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Another vote for Dynamips - you really can't beat using 100% real IOS code.
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My two cents:
    I bought the semsim awhile back. As far as very basic rip routing its ok. Doesnt have any switching or any other routing protocols. In a word, it will get you through the first two quarters of the cisco academy. Basic int setup, banners, rip routing, line console, vty and aux setups, passwords. Like i said very basic. It was 39.00. I also have the boson ccnp sim. Its a heck of alot more advanced. Yet it still cant do everything. It has 200 different hardware pieces at a time capability>>pcs, routers, switches, to chose from. Like you can chose the 2950 switch or the 1900, or whatever. It has many routers to chose from. You can either use their labs or do it freestyle. With freestyle you can chose up to 200 routers if you want to, thats a bit alot for me. Anyway then import your own setup into the lab. It support ospf, rip, eigrp, igrp, is-is. I believe also bgp. I like it, but the price is high. The version im talking about is CCNP not thier CCna version.
    Like the guys here are saying dynamips/dynagen would be pretty cool to have. I cant get it to work on my computer. I have 3 different 7200 IOS's but still no go. It must be something else wrong. But if you can get it to work i would suggest that.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Hi guys

I was just about to buy the Boson CCNA simulator for $149, but I was recommended the Semsim router that only $30. Does anyone have any experience using wither and which would you recommend? Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!

deanogorman,

I got the Cisco Press "CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam #640-801), 2nd Edition" that comes with the "NetSim LE network simulator" which is a rebranding of the Boson NetSim for CCNA. It also has Exam Simulators for the 640-821 INTRO and 640-811 ICND exams that are basically another rebrand of the Boson ExSim #2 for Cisco 640-801. According to Ciscopress.com, the Exam Certification Library is currently $53.96.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam #640-801), 2nd Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201690&rl=1