Options

Need help setting up a vmware network for 70-291

dsimons2001dsimons2001 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can you guys please help me with setting up a virtual network so I can get some hands-on for the 70-291 exam? I have installed Server 2K3 Enterprise Edition on two virtual machines using VMware 5.5.3. One machine is going to be a domain controller and the other a member server. I am hoping to have a primary DNS server on one virtual machine (DC) and a secondary DNS server on the other (Member). I am planning on joining both of them to a domain named domain1.local as proposed in the MSPress text. I installed VMWare using the default selections which is the bridged network option.

My settings currently appear as:
VMnet0 - Bridged to an automatically chosen adapter
VMnet1 - VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 - Subnet IP: 192.168.199.0 Subnet: 255.255.255.0
VMnet8 - VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 - Subnet IP: 192.168.22.0 Subnet: 255.255.255.0

For some reason the Summary tab shows VMnet0 as Bridged, VMnet1 as Host-only, and VMnet8 as NAT. Do I need to change these settings?

I can currently ping my member server from my DC by name and vice-versa. I am assuming this is only because Netbios is still enabled. The machines currently do not have an Internet connection because as you may have read in a previous post I had run into an issue at work when I plugged my laptop into the company network I had a domain controller that began assigning IP addresses to my coworker's machines. Needless to say I was not given a promotion to Network Admin for that fiasco. Because the machines are currently offline they have the lovely 169 IP addresses.

What should I use for my static IP addresses? Do I need to be hooked up to an Internet connection for external DNS servers or will I be ok with a local network and no external DNS servers for this exam? I am currently using a laptop with an internal NIC.

Comments

• Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    if you don't need to be connected to the internet,no need to use bridged. what i usually do is create a lan segment and connect my vmachines to that segment, that way they can talk as needed without then possibility of connecting externally, i will setup a wsus machine with two nics and connect one to the lan segment i created and bridge the other with my laptop so i can grab updates.

i would change the network type to host only or build a lan segment. as for the IP addresses, give them whatever you want, i would also suggest setting up at least one client to play with client ip addressing, reservations, and things like that but it's not totally neccessary, you could do it with your other server if need be

hope this helped, feel free to ask any questions
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Ok so today I decided to setup a LAN segment w/ NAT using the team option in VMware. I created two virtual servers and joined them to the same team. The first server I created is a DC. The other is a member server. The DC is hosting the domain1.local domain. I joined the member server to that domain. I then rebooted the member and logged into domain1. So far so good.

After that I tried to ping the member server from the DC and vice-versa. The ping succeeded and the name was resolved. I then decided to disable Netbios to make sure DNS is actually resolving the names to IPs. The ping then failed.

So then I decided to run IP config /all on both and here is what it shows:

DC:
    connection-specific DNS Suffix: localdomain
    Description: AMDPCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address: 00-0C-29-25-4B-B5
    DHCP enabled: YES
    Auto Config Enabled: YES
    IP Address: 192.168.22.132
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.22.2
    DNS Server: 127.0.0.1 & 192.168.22.2
    Primary WINS Server: 192.168.22.2
    NetBIOS over Tcpip: DISABLED
    Lease Obtained: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 6:32:54 PM
    Lease Expires: Tuesday March 06, 2007 7:02:54 PM

MEMBER:
    connection-specific DNS Suffix: localdomain
    Description: AMDPCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address: 00-0C-29-B2-D2-C1
    DHCP enabled: YES
    Auto Config Enabled: YES
    IP Address: 192.168.22.129
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.22.2
    DHCP Server: 192.168.22.254
    DNS Server: 192.168.22.2
    Primary WINS Server: 192.168.22.2
    Lease Obtained: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 9:32:54 PM
    Lease Expires: Tuesday March 06, 2007 9:52:54 PM

I am curious where the DHCP, Default Gateway, and DNS IP addresses are coming from? I was thinking that the DC would be the DHCP/DNS server. After all when I ran DCPROMO I selected the option to setup DC as the primary DNS server for the domain1.local domain. Any ideas on how I can get DC to work as a DHCP/DNS server? I should also mention that I want it to work without an actual physical connection to the Internet. THANKS.
  • Options
    Nevermind. I was able to get it working. Thanks anyways.
  • Options
    JujubeanJujubean Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey I am trying to setup a virtual lan in vmware with 1 win2003 DC and 1 XP computer. But I am unsuccessfull in doing so. Can you give me some pointers on how you got yours to work