How do i ask for a pay raise

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
Since i just got my CCNA, how should i go about asking my boss for a pay raise? I know that if i don't say anything i will not get one, my company sucks like that!

Ty
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    The best way to me is to start interviewing, that way when they say no you can show them an offer letter, of what you want even if you don't necessarily want to leave, however if they do say no you may find it better to leave anyway, but putting that offer letter in front of their face makes them change their mind real fast
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Have a formal conversation with your boss.

Ask your boss how can you go about renegotiating a new salary.

Ex: "I have been performing extremely well; I also just
    completed my CCNA, and plan to go for more certifications. How
    can I go about renegotiating my salary?"

Have your updated resume ready, of course. Also have justification, ie,
    CCNA, completed a project, top performer, etc.

Having another offer is good leverage, but not required.

Just remember, if you can't justify a raise, neither can your boss.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Typically asking for a pay raise is somthing that not only your boss can approve... It has to go through several people to actually get request approved...

I would agree with the first person who said go interview at other job positions. Line up other jobs and then talk to ya boss in a private meeting to discuss your financial issues. If he cannot grant you a raise then I guess give him your 2 weeks notice.

Two week's is alot of time for some one to think it over rather or not they want to keep an employee at the cost of a simple .50 cent raise even or more. But if you don't feel comfortable with what your making then you can always look around

try;
    http://www.dice.com
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • relaxed_daverelaxed_dave Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I"m about to do the same thing for different reasons...

Basically going to look at industry standards and compare and then get a few jobs off the online job sites with more $$ that have comparable roles that I am doing and hand it over ... with a spiel about recent certification etc
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is your CCNA enabling you to enhance your job performance, or is it enabling you to take on new responsibilities?

From my perspective (department manager), if I have a guy in a network engineer position who goes out and gets his CCNA, well, he's already at that level and he should know the CCNA material anyway, so I would hesitate to give a raise. If I have a guy in a network analyst/tech role, who is now doing network engineer stuff, a raise is fair, if I can swing it. Sometimes as managers our hands are tied until our new budget comes out.

I've learned that money is not everything. I have to be happy at work. A year or so ago I left a chapter 11 company, got a new job and walked out the second day. I won't work in a place that I hate.