Help updating an IOS on a Router

deanogormandeanogorman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I'm hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction here. I managed to get my hands on an old 1603 router which has a single Ethernet and ISDN connection. This will be fine for me - I just want to use a router for training and I want to get access to th IOS. I managed to change the passwords and can now get access ok.

The problem is though that the IOS is version 11.3 (see router info below) and I take it that I need to update it to the latest version. The thing is that I'm using the Sybex study guide and it only talks about loading an IOS from another router that is acting as a TFTP server. Can anyone please tell me how to do this from a PC? Will hyperterminal allow mw to transfer the file?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-L), Version 11.3(1), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1997 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 15-Dec-97 19:00 by richardd
Image text-base: 0x0801FD14, data-base: 0x02005000

cisco 1603 (68360) processor (revision C) with 1536K/512K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 10718898, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.0.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)
System/IO memory with parity disabled
8K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
4096K bytes of processor board PCMCIA flash (Read ONLY)

Comments

• srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    Probably the easiest way is to put up an tftp-server (Solarwinds or something) on your pc and pull the IOS from there with copy tftp flash.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srg wrote:
    Probably the easiest way is to put up an tftp-server (Solarwinds or something) on your pc and pull the IOS from there with copy tftp flash.

This is how I do it too..... so step by step

Ensure that your PC is on same subnet as int e0 of router
    Install Solarwinds tftp server on your PC from http://www.solarwinds.net/products/freetools/index.aspx
    enter the following into the router

1 - Backup your current ios
    router>ena (enter password)
    router#sh ver
    Take a note of the ios name
    router#copy flash tftp
    enter ip address of your pc and the ios filename you took a note of when prompted and ensure solarwinds is running on the PC

2 - copy new ios
    router>ena (then enter password)
    router#copy tftp flash
    enter ip address and the ios filename of your pc when prompted and ensure solarwinds is running on it
    reboot router when finished

After you've backed up the IOS after step 1 you may need to erase flash to make space for the new ios if you have little memory in your router.

ENSURE YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP OF YOUR IOS BEFORE YOU ERASE FLASH
  • deanogormandeanogorman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys :)

One last silly question. I set myself up with a Cisco login, but when I try to access the webpage to download 'Cisco IOS Software' http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/, it won't let me in (showing as locked). Is there an extra level of login required to access this info on the Cisco website?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out this IOS Download thread (and the thread I link to in the first response).

The software licensing is separate from the hardware. When you buy a router off of eBay -- the image loaded on it is the equivalent to getting something that "fell off a truck." icon_pirat.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!