Options

Can Ping A but Can't ping B

myexcellency2myexcellency2 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just finished configuring RIP from the techlab on a simulator. The only difference was the simulator didn't accept the service password command and also didn't accept the version 2 for the RIP, else every other command was accepted.
The problem is I can ping host A form host B but can not ping host B from host A. I really need some help here cos I feel I finished the job but can't go home, so to speak.
B.ENG, CompTIA A+ Certified

Comments

• Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    ... The only difference was the simulator didn't accept the service password command and also didn't accept the version 2 for the RIP, else every other command was accepted.

If your doing

>switch#(config)router rip
    >switch#(config) ver 2

and it doesn't work then something may be wrong with your sim. You can always verify that your typing the right command for what you want to do and that your in the right mode by looking it up on Cisco's site or lammle does a good job of putting excerpts in his book as well. Also make sure that your sim is up to date a lot of the older sims have major issues.
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you advertising both networks (LAN and Serial P2P) on both routers?

ie if LAN A was in the 10.0.0.0 network and LAN B was in the 11.0.0.0 network, with the serial link between routers being in the 12.0.0.0 network, the network commands would look something like this:

RouterA

router rip
    network 10.0.0.0
    network 12.0.0.0

RouterB

router rip
    network 11.0.0.0
    network 12.0.0.0

Obviously my network numbers are just examples, I dont know what subnets you are using. If you have this configured as such, it is a problem with the sim, as michael_knight mentioned they are often horrible to work with and produce errors even on the simplest configurations, hence it is advised to grab a couple of real routers from EBay or somewhere.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would help a lot if you posted the configuration you did.... you just asking but not posting the configuration or what you did... how we can help you??? O_o
  • Options
    Wow this is overwhelming.
    But when i typed in version 2, the sim behaved as if it didn't know what i was talking about. I then typed ? to see what options i had under RIP and it was network and i think exit. It could be a problem with the sim.
    And I actually did the advertise the networks correctly. this is the link http://www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_1_rip.shtml it is actually the labs on this website. Bottomline I think I may need to get real routers or a much better sim. Cheers!!!!!!!! :D:)
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get dynamips....
  • Options
    I talked to my tutor today about the problem with the sim and he told me that I have to set clock rate on all routers. So I did and it worked although he said in the real world you just configure clock rate on DCE. It was kind of weird so I did some experiments and voila! it gave the same result always. In fact I tried just configuring the clock rate on one router only and the protocol goes down but goes back up immediately I set clock rate on the other router. Well at least we have that one covered.