Options

restrictive permissions

toddbrotoddbro Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is one of your question
4. You share a folder on your computer and you assigned the share permission Change to Everyone. John, a user from the Sales department, has been granted Full Control NTFS permission to the folder. John is also a member of the Sales group, which has been assigned Read NTFS permissions.
What are John's effective permissions when connecting to the shared folder?
a. Read
b. Read & Execute
c. Change
d. Full Control

The answer says that the person has change permissions. I would have thought that the person has read permissions as this is the most restrictive permission. I thought NTFS permissions to local folders were cumulative but shares are governed by the most restrictive permission and as john is a member of the sales group with read permissions then the he would only have read permissons...

????? does he really have change permissions???

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my exam and I moving on to Server.

Thanks for the free questions, I found them really good.

Cheers :D
  • Options
    stockystocky Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to use the TABLE TRICK here

Make a table with 2 columns SHARE and NTFS.
    The rows are John, Everyone and Sales. Write down in each column the respective permissions.
    Go down the SHARE column and write down the accumulative permission. Do the same for the NTFS permission column. Which of these permissions are the most restrictive. This is what John get.

PS Congrats with your passing. Still need to do mine.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats on passing the exam!
    Todd Bro wrote:
    does he really have change permissions???

I seem to have missed your post, but Stocky explained it very well, so yes he really does have change permissions.

Johan :D
  • Options
    nasrullahnasrullah Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As less restricted permissions are applied when the ntfs and shared permissions are viewed independently. But when they are viewed togather
    then the most restricted permission is applied.

so jhon will have full control from the ntfs permissions and the change from the shared permission when appling both togather the permission will be change only for the user as it is most restricted permission.