Options

bummed

MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was working for two months as a Jr. network admin before being let go this week due to the fact that I'm "too green". What really pisses me off is that I was up front about my lack of experience from the get go. (I'm trying to switch careers.) Also I was given absolutely no training. They just threw me on the phones. WTF did they expect??

Just had to vent. I'm feeling so unmotivated to even look for another job right now. I thought this was my big break into IT, but it turns out I was wrong. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    SteelySteely Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You'll get over it in a week. Just remember that it happens to many of us. This is a new career for me too, but I started out doing contract work. It's incredibly unstable, but I eventually got use to it. I just learned not to get too emotionally attach to my work, now matter how great it may be. Good luck.
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    looking at your certifications it says CCNA and it looks like you were doing a help desk job.

My advice is to get the A+ which deals with customer interactions and stuff then get network+. A CCNA is a networking cert for network technicians/ Engineers not help desk. A help desk needs to start with the basics.

And also one advice for working in a phone support environment, DONT EVER SAY I DONT KNOW to the customer/staff even if you don't know put them on hold and do some research or they will get rid of you quick. Been there, done that. hope this helps.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It happens, trust me, I've been in your shoes. I had no experience several years ago and I had self studied for my A+ and Network+ by taking courses, reading several books for each exam, and studying very hard to gain some knowledge in computers. I then gave up a job I had for several years and took a risk to get into the IT field and took a job where I was "supposed" to be trained as an IT Professional. Unfortunately, the company (which consisted of 4 people) did not have time to train me. The lucky thing is, is that the IT guys in my company were consultants and we shared a building with a company of 50-75 users. Because of that, I became that company's IT guy including full Domain Administrator access to their entire network. They had no time to train me, so I basically just played with stuff and read around on websites and referred to the Windows 2000 books they had laying around the office. Unfortunately, they could not afford to pay me and were going bankrupt and laid me off after 3 months.

I then went to finish my bachelor's degree full time (I was going part time before) and finished my degree and am now a consultant. Hopefully this is not coming off as bragging. I am just trying to give you words of encouragement. If you really want to go into IT, stick with your goals AND DO NOT GIVE UP. Work hard and you will achieve your goals and be prosperous. Good luck to you and let us know how everything goes for you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    mysql1988 wrote:

And also one advice for working in a phone support environment, DONT EVER SAY I DONT KNOW to the customer/staff even if you don't know put them on hold and do some research or they will get rid of you quick.

This is far more unprofessional than admitting you lack some knowledge and are willing to compensate for that by learning.

Example scenario:
    "C: Please help me with *some_extra_hard_problem_you_know_nothing_about*"
    "HD: Oh, I will have to put you on hold for a moment"
    "C: Well, ok"
    *clock starts ticking*
    A minute passes...
    Two...
    Three...
    "HD: Sorry for the wait, but this seems to be more complicated than we thought. You will have to be on hold for a bit longer..."
    "C: Somehow I get impression, you are not competent enough to help me..."
    "HD: I was furiously searching [google|local KB|whatever] to locate solution for your problem"
    "C: Exactly what I thought of. I won't be needing your assistence any more, since I don't like being on hold indefinitely..."
    *beep* *beep* *beep*

Customer will be more happy if you admit that you can't help him during the first call but will escalate the problem to 2nd level and get back to him asap (say 5-10min). So take his contacts (phone number, fax, e-mail, whatever) and end the call. Then do some research, consult with colleagues and get back to the client.

Even if it is extra urgent situation - client will be more satisfied to get personal response from you, even if it takes a little longer than expected. Also this lets customer know that he is important to you.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    Inc wrote:
    mysql1988 wrote:

And also one advice for working in a phone support environment, DONT EVER SAY I DONT KNOW to the customer/staff even if you don't know put them on hold and do some research or they will get rid of you quick.

This is far more unprofessional than admitting you lack some knowledge and are willing to compensate for that by learning.

Example scenario:
    "C: Please help me with *some_extra_hard_problem_you_know_nothing_about*"
    "HD: Oh, I will have to put you on hold for a moment"
    "C: Well, ok"
    *clock starts ticking*
    A minute passes...
    Two...
    Three...
    "HD: Sorry for the wait, but this seems to be more complicated than we thought. You will have to be on hold for a bit longer..."
    "C: Somehow I get impression, you are not competent enough to help me..."
    "HD: I was furiously searching [google|local KB|whatever] to locate solution for your problem"
    "C: Exactly what I thought of. I won't be needing your assistence any more, since I don't like being on hold indefinitely..."
    *beep* *beep* *beep*

Customer will be more happy if you admit that you can't help him during the first call but will escalate the problem to 2nd level and get back to him asap (say 5-10min). So take his contacts (phone number, fax, e-mail, whatever) and end the call. Then do some research, consult with colleagues and get back to the client.

Even if it is extra urgent situation - client will be more satisfied to get personal response from you, even if it takes a little longer than expected. Also this lets customer know that he is important to you.

My 2 cents.

What I was trying to say is DON'T EVER SAY NO to the customer. if you don't know you can tell them you will do your best to help them out.
    Trust me the more and more you act like you don't know stuff around the workplace, the less inefficient and unprofessional you will look. Companies want people with problem solving skills not people you can't solve problems.
  • Options
    MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I really appreciate it. :D I'm scheduling the 70-271 for two weeks from now. And then onto the 70-272 & A+ after that. Hopefully, that will help me out. But I'll keep searching for a job in the meantime.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ and MCDST will help. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    they key is "Confidence" dude.
    Have you ever seen the President of United States coming onto stage with his head down, shoulders pressed, and looking cluless?
    I havn't. What would we think if we ever see a president like that? We would be thinking "Oh my God! We are in trouble"
    quote from : Joyce Meyer Ministries
    so, whenever someone asks you to do something, just say "No Problem" with full confidence. Whether or not you can do it, or know how to do it..just say that. Then, try to figure out how to solve the matter later on your own..God gave us Internet to search many unknowns..use it wisely!
    I will not let someone handle something if that person is clueless... i wouldn't know if he knows or not, but i know for sure that he just said "No Problem" with a big smile which also gives me confidence to trust.

Don't get depress or mad at yourself or others for being laid off.
    Life always has lows and highs.
    Think of it as a humor..just laugh at it dude! because ONE DAY when you are in your office room looking at the city view from the high rise office building with your hands in the pocket relaxing before giving an important speech to hundreds of IT professionals, you will laugh at this Hard time..no doubt about it!
    man..you had a job..i dont even have a job in IT yet..i have been looking for one for so long, and i was depressed till i realized that maybe i ain't ready for one. So, all i can do now is to get more certs, my B.S degree, and keep on trying. I dont have time to get depressed and pissed off anymore. It is funny i cant find a job yet..haha
    There is always a reason for any circumstances. Maybe you got laid off because God dont want you to work there, and he wants you to work somewhere better. Have faith and Confidence or devil will take over.

Good luck dude!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."