Options

Working alongside a CCIE

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I may have a unique opportunity at the present. My wife's friend is a high muck-a-muck at the local hospital, and she's good friends with their network administrator, who just happens to be a CCIE. I asked her if she could mention to him that I'd love to be able to work a few hours a week in his department, doing anything, as I'm currently in school studying networking and would love some real-world experience, particularly with the horror stories I've read about people with certs out there panhandling outside the homeless shelters and such. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I sure hope something works out. Even 5 hours a week would be fine. I'd be happy to carry his bag or mop the floor of the networking dept. or whatever, since the experience of working for a CCIE would be an asset on my resume, I would think, come job-hunting time. It would also give me a chance to "network" with other people and establish some connections, which may prove valuable in the future.

I'll get back when I hear something. Wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, i hope he gives you a chance. I tried to do the same thing here in Myrtle beach. I went to all the consultants and computer stores. I told them i would work for free. I probably went to about ten places or sent resume and letter. Would you believe no one would let me work for free. It really surprised me. anyway, i hope he will give you the chance that the a-h%%s in MB wouldnt give me
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    emmajoyce wrote:
    Would you believe no one would let me work for free. It really surprised me. anyway, i hope he will give you the chance that the a-h%%s in MB wouldnt give me

The problem is that you don't want to work for free, you want to be instructed and learn for free. That is a big difference.
    Ever looked for a ccna, ccnp ,... class with a ccie instructor. I don't know what that cost, but i can imagine.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    emmajoyce wrote:
    Would you believe no one would let me work for free. It really surprised me. anyway, i hope he will give you the chance that the a-h%%s in MB wouldnt give me

The problem is that you don't want to work for free, you want to be instructed and learn for free. That is a big difference.
    Ever looked for a ccna, ccnp ,... class with a ccie instructor. I don't know what that cost, but i can imagine.

Thats a good point of view lol
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds good. I hope for you he is willing to take time to explain his troubleshooting and problem solving methods to you...I hope he isnt purely an engineer with no time to be a "trainer".

Good luck dude.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mcfly,
    You must of been one of the as*ho&es that wouldnt give me a chance to gain some experience. Your philosophy is the problem today. Everyone wants experience but no one wants to allow you to gain it.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    emmajoyce wrote:
    Mcfly,
    You must of been one of the as*ho&es that wouldnt give me a chance to gain some experience. Your philosophy is the problem today. Everyone wants experience but no one wants to allow you to gain it.

Hey now. Settle down. He was just saying how those businesses were probably viewing you. Don't take offense.

Good luck to OP.
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    No offense but I can see what McFly is saying, when it comes to working for free with someone they look at you as someone who will slow them down with questions. If you look at Darby Weavers post you can see how busy he is and he isn't even a CCIE yet! I work in Operations and I am a Network Admin. for a small company network and I don't have time to answer questions all the time about what is going on with the network. The idea of working with someone who is a CCIE sounds great, I would jump at the opportunity since I am striving to be one but I just don't see that being a reality unless you happen to work with one already.

Good luck on your job search as I know it can be a long road, especially in Myrtle Beach area. (My brother just recently moved to there from Hickory NC were I currently reside and he had a hard time finding a job) In IT there are people who will take you without experience and some certs but then there are some that want both and unfortunately that seems to be the biggest complaint, "How do I get experience without a job" and you just have to start at the bottom somewhere and work your way up. I know a guy who is an MCSE and started out as a computer repair tech. for a small company and did that for years until he finally go his chance to work in a hospital as the 2nd man in charge and now he makes 90k a year.

Hope some of this helps you feel better and once again keep looking and you will will find work. :)
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    boyles23 wrote:
    No offense but I can see what McFly is saying, when it comes to working for free with someone they look at you as someone who will slow them down with questions. If you look at Darby Weavers post you can see how busy he is and he isn't even a CCIE yet! I work in Operations and I am a Network Admin. for a small company network and I don't have time to answer questions all the time about what is going on with the network. The idea of working with someone who is a CCIE sounds great, I would jump at the opportunity since I am striving to be one but I just don't see that being a reality unless you happen to work with one already.

Good luck on your job search as I know it can be a long road, especially in Myrtle Beach area. (My brother just recently moved to there from Hickory NC were I currently reside and he had a hard time finding a job) In IT there are people who will take you without experience and some certs but then there are some that want both and unfortunately that seems to be the biggest complaint, "How do I get experience without a job" and you just have to start at the bottom somewhere and work your way up. I know a guy who is an MCSE and started out as a computer repair tech. for a small company and did that for years until he finally go his chance to work in a hospital as the 2nd man in charge and now he makes 90k a year.

Hope some of this helps you feel better and once again keep looking and you will will find work. :)

I have this feeling that we're in a kind of "yo-yo" effect; it started with employers jumping for people with only certs for a while, until they started getting burned with hirees who had certs but were brain-dead. Then it morphed into the current situation - employers demanding experience and more experience (and if you have certs, sure, we'll take 'em). But methinks the yo-yo is about to move again and that employers are going to start running dry with people applying who have all this vaunted experience that they desire so much. After all, employers have been demanding this for a number of years now; everyone can't have experience, and there are surely a finite number of people out there who have it, and you can empty the job market of them only for so long, unless you just keep recycling the same experienced individuals over and over from job to job.
  • Options
    nitishhnitishh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!
    If you have any question in regrds to CCIE i can help please feel free to ask questions. I finsihed my CCIE 4 yrs ago and now i am attempting my second CCIE for security . Its not very difficult really just a lot of stress .

wish you all the best

thanks
    Nitish
    MCSE CCNA,CCNP,CCIE# 13243,CISSP,CCSA
    MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE#13243, CISSP, CCSA
    Bit by Bit
  • Options
    Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Almost everyone I know in networking started as either a cabling tech or pc tech. I think it's great to start as a cabling tech, because you learn how to build datacenter infrastructure. A good network guy who also knows power, cooling and cabling is valuable.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nitishh wrote:
    Hi!
    If you have any question in regrds to CCIE i can help please feel free to ask questions. I finsihed my CCIE 4 yrs ago and now i am attempting my second CCIE for security . Its not very difficult really just a lot of stress .

wish you all the best

thanks
    Nitish
    MCSE CCNA,CCNP,CCIE# 13243,CISSP,CCSA

Welcome nitishh! Nice to have a CCIE on board. icon_cool.gif
    I am sure you'll be getting questions from folks here, we have several that are in the running for their own CCIE.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    Wow!

That is the first time I heard someone say CCIE wasn't hard to accomplish. I am just really about half way thru my CCNA studies and I thought it was gonna be a long road ahead of me to the CCIE.

I feel much better now.

Just kidding with you btw. Everyone always talks about how hard the CCIE is, nice to hear that it might not be as difficult as everyone says.
  • Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    emmajoyce wrote:
    Mcfly,

First of all, emmajoyce, i am sorry if i offended you, that was not my purpose.

I only want to pointed out that, in comparison to learning to drive a car, much of you want to drive immediately in a Formula 1 (or Nascar for the Yanks, lol). Even if you did great theory test on how to drive a formula1 car, you still need to learn to drive a little car first.

If someone like a CCIE wants to take you with him, that is an oportunity of a life-time.
  • Options
    nitishhnitishh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As for CCIE i will again say the same thing its not at all difficult . Its Vast lot of topics to cover but not difficult .

The easiest way to learn is to team up together share knowledge and work in a team . This way one person does not have to cover every subject he can rely on his team members to clear some doubts . Each team member takes a topic reads about it and explains to the other team members. So on a good day you could understand 3 diff topics having spent time reading only one. Keep the team small so its easy to manage.
    MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE#13243, CISSP, CCSA
    Bit by Bit
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Tricon7 wrote:
    , since the experience of working for a CCIE would be an asset on my resume

I'll get back when I hear something. Wish me luck.

i wouldn't put " worked with a ccie" on your resume.
    i herd u leik mudkips lol