Options

shared folder question

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
On my WinXP Pro box I have a winXP Pro virtual machine (VMware) in a "host-only" network.

When I connect from the host machine to the guest's shared folders, e.g.
run -> \\guest
Windows displays a dialog box that prompts me to enter a login and a password.

However, when I do the opposite way ( connect from the guest machine to the host's shared folders) no dialog box apprears and I succeed.

Any idea?

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are connecting to a machine and it is not prompting you, it is because the username and password that are currently using is currently in the target's machine SAM database.

So lets say you want no prompts whatsoever for usernames and passwords when using a workgroup.

Machine A:
    John/Password1

Machine B:
    Mary/Password2

When Mary tries to connect to Machine A, she will be prompted because Machine A does not recognize the name Mary and Machine A needs user credentials that are located on Machine A to authenticate the user and grant it access to resources. To solve this problem, you need to add Mary's account to Machine A and vice versa if needed. You will end up with something like this:

Machine A:
    John/Password1
    Mary/Password2

Machine B:
    Mary/Password2
    John/Password 1

Make sure both of these computers are on the same workgroup. One downside to something like this is each time you change a password or some user information, you have to go to every single machine and make that change. This is one of the reasons directory services such as Active Directory are good to implement. User accounts are stored in one database that all client machines can pull information from.

Hope this helps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□