Options

Cisco Noobie

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
HI, I have very little experience with cisco. I am currently pursuing Mcse, but at my job on occasion I need to go in and make minor changes (we contract all major changes). The most I have really done is modify the new dst summer-time settings and save them copy running-c startup-c. I really wanted to ask two questions.

First can I use a cisco router for my dsl or cable broadband connections?

Second, (and I have tried to find this info online and in Ccna books, so if your going to respond with a google it answer please don't respond. How/where can I get information on setting up multiple public side interfaces I.E mapping certain public IP's to certain servers. What type of Wan link do I need for this Frame Relay, T1, ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    1. yes

2. one WAN and one LAN interface, secondary IP for WAN interface, static NAT
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote:
    HI, I have very little experience with cisco. I am currently pursuing Mcse, but at my job on occasion I need to go in and make minor changes (we contract all major changes). The most I have really done is modify the new dst summer-time settings and save them copy running-c startup-c. I really wanted to ask two questions.

First can I use a cisco router for my dsl or cable broadband connections?

Second, (and I have tried to find this info online and in Ccna books, so if your going to respond with a google it answer please don't respond. How/where can I get information on setting up multiple public side interfaces I.E mapping certain public IP's to certain servers. What type of Wan link do I need for this Frame Relay, T1, ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi slinuxuzer:

Yes, there are cisco dsl modem/routers made for use with home broadband. I have one but can't remember the model number, haven't used it in 3 years. Keep in mind some ISP's will not offer support unless you use their modem/router. A quick google search found this model:

Cisco 827-4V icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps394/index.html

If you were simply asking if you can use a Cisco router behind your existing dsl modem, then yes you can do that too, as long as you have 2 ethernet interfaces.

To map certain public ip's to certain servers, you would have to set up address translation rules that map your public ip and a particular port to whatever internal ip address that server resides on. So if you run a web server and an ftp server iternally on 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.20 respectively, and your public ip address is 207.68.172.246, then you would set up routing rules that say anything bound for 207.68.172.246 on port 80, forward to 192.168.1.10 and anything bound for 207.68.172.246 on port 21 forward to 192.168.1.20.

If you need more specific help setting up the acl's or routing post back and someone will be glad to help.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I would suggest using a cisco pix instead. It is much easier to setup wan to lan interfaces and you can have unlimited interfaces. Most routers only allow you to 2 rj45 ports for example. This means you can use one for your WAN port and one for your LAN port because you have to tie the interface with an address.

A pix you simply plug in the connection to your dsl, and then plug your other connection into a switch. You then use Access lists to allow whatever computer you would like to get out/in on the internet.

It requires setting up a translation table for your WAN /LAN and then your access lists, but it is far more superior than a simple router.