Options

Testing the motherboard/CPU

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Whenever I have to test either of these, I generally do it through trial and error. If I suspect a bad motherboard and I'm not getting any error codes(beeps) then I throw CPU and RAM that I know work into it to see if it will give me video output.

If I'm suspicious of a CPU, then I throw it into a working motherboard that has the appropriate socket.

Sometimes this can be a lengthy process if I don't have hardware that I know works, so perhaps you guys could provide me with some other means? Maybe something I could buy that is accurate that I could use to perform tests without digging through the mountain of parts we have lying around(I've tried to organize it, honestly).

Seeing how some RAM only works in pairs or with certain types of sticks, or CPUs that will only work on certain types of motherboards,etc it can be tedious.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually don't waste too much time doing that. If it is a warranty job I will get the supplier to send everything and I return what is not used. I do the RAM switch then will drop the old CPU into the new board and check - NEVER the new CPU in the old board as I have seen more than a few cooked by a screwed main board.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    I have two PCs that I've been given, which require CPUs. I'm pretty sure I tested them and confirmed the rest of the hardware as good a year or so back...but now I question my diagnostics. None of the new CPUs I've tested in them are working and I especially ordered some which work with these motherboards.

So now I'm testing the RAM and video cards, so it's getting a little complicated. Is there something I could purchase which would help speed up the process, like a ram or CPU tester?

The new CPUs don't work in our other machines, so I'm thinking they are no good. I don't want to send them back unless I can confirm this.

KG
  • Options
    I ended up taking one of our working motherboards that already had good RAM and video, and tested each of the four new CPUs we bought. All of them worked, and I got one to work on on of the two machines.

Now I just need to see if either of the remaining three will work on this second machine. It has a different motherboard than the other computer.

KG
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Is there something I could purchase which would help speed up the process, like a ram or CPU tester?

The new CPUs don't work in our other machines, so I'm thinking they are no good. I don't want to send them back unless I can confirm this.

KG

There is, but not worth the money. Develop a system to test the hardware 'systematically' and stick to it. Search for UXD they have a fancy/expensive Postcard/port/component card that you may find of interest, but personally.....develop yourself a method and stick with it. More reliable and way cheaper. IMNSHO
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?