Options

Initial Router Setup for 2500 Series Router

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
A few months ago, I purchased a 2501 router and a 2520 router on Ebay. Neither came with manuals, and information on Cisco's site is scarce since these are at end-of-life status.

I am finally getting around to trying them out, and I need a bit of help getting up and running. I have a console cable that I have connected to my computer's serial port and the routers console port. I've configured hyperterminal (9600 baud/8 data bit/no parity/2 stop bits), and I can see the startup diagnostics. Then it asks me if I want to enter initial configuration yes/no, and I am unable to type anything. Does anyone know why this would be? I see hyperterminal has various input options/preferences that can be set. Would this have anything to do with my problem? Is there another application that would be better than hyperterminal?

I apologize for being such a nub, this is all new to me. Thanks in advance.

P.S. After reading some of the posts regarding sim labs, I was wondering if that would be a better approach than attempting to physically build your own lab? Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I've configured hyperterminal (9600 baud/8 data bit/no parity/2 stop bits

needs to be

Bits per sec : 9600
    Data bits : 8
    Parity : none
    Stop bits : 1
    Flow control : none

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094465.shtml

***EDIT***

You can also run the session through Teraterm emulation software which you don't have to set all the parameters up, just specify the type of session you want

http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm... I thought the setup was for only 1 stop bits, not 2.:

Bits per second 9600
    Data bits 8
    Parity None
    Stop Bits 1
    and Flow control None

As for the sims, absolutely better to have the real equipmet. Sims will not make it easy to learn new conecpts by behaving badly. I remember trying to configure RIP between 2 routers using I think BOSON once, and could never get the hosts to ping each other. Worked fine on 2 2503's and a couple of old PCs. At least if you have the actual equipment, and a config doesn't work, you can be almost sure it is because it is not configured correctly, and not a problem with software.

Hope this helps,

James.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As far as your last statement,

Build your own Network man, I am giving myself 6 month to get "acquainted" with the technology. I have never worked with this stuff before, and you need to give yourself time to work on it and actually do these things.

Do you know how many times I have read/heard about Interviews for people with CCNA/CCNP (and other certs), where during the Interview they ask "Can you go ahead and get these two routers setup doing XYZ" and the candidate is stopped cold by the challenge.

Think about it, with a simulator, you would never had learned what you just did with console. And everything has that same learning curve, and that experience speeds your overall troubleshooting abilities up, rather than just giving you a "basic understanding"

Anyhow my $.02.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Real equipment is definitely better. You get familiar with the connections, the lights, etc. Sims can't give you this type of experience. I am currently attending an open lab given by my school that allows me to attend twice a week and use their cisco equipment and I only have to pay 3 credit hours and each credit hour is under 100 dollars. Very nice deal and since I know the instructor (he is there for any questions we may have), he is allowing me to come next term for free shhhhhh. Stick with the equipment but make sure you are running the latest IOS on those routers, and get you a switch 2950 series.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just want to thank everyone for their great feedback :)

Once I get home from work, I'll try switching the stop bit to 1 to see if that makes a difference. The configuration I found was probably for a slightly different piece of hardware. Thanks again.