Options

CCNA Router Kit: This can't be so cheap...can it?

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
Ok, maybe my memory is fuzzed up but I remember back in the day routers were like 6-700 bucks even for the simple ones. Look at what they are asking for with 2 routers and 2 switches included. icon_eek.gif

http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=87

Are these routers missing something or have things just gotten really cheap over the past 6 years I've been gone?
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I got all 3 of my 25xx routers off of ebay. 30-45 usd a peice (shipping included)

I did have upgrade the memory on one of them but that was only another $15 or so.

So id say shop around. Plus be careful about kits sometimes the switches arent what is currently covered on the exam.
  • Options
    Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're going to want 2950 switches for the exam.

dot1q.
  • Options
    Ed Rooney wrote:

dot1q.

On the site it noted that for the CCNA you can get by without switches. It said they are needed more for when you move onto the CCNP.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    Ed Rooney wrote:

dot1q.

On the site it noted that for the CCNA you can get by without switches. It said they are needed more for when you move onto the CCNP.

Again, you won't want 1900's for CCNP.
  • Options
    Ed Rooney wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    Ed Rooney wrote:

dot1q.

Again, you won't want 1900's for CCNP.

Ah, sorry, that didn't click at first.

Help me out. Off the bat right now to study for the CCNA which 2 routers should I get...which won't be too bland to use for my CCNP as well when i add switches to the set-up?
  • Options
  • Options
    I need to get one of those lab rack stands.

The 2600/2900 combo is probably closer to what you want.
  • Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□

I had been searching ebay for a stand like that but then found some rack rails at work and built my own :D

rack_001.jpg
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    emsrescue wrote:

I had been searching ebay for a stand like that but then found some rack rails at work and built my own :D

rack_001.jpg

Like it :D
  • Options
    The only problem I now have is a strong urge to fill all the gaps with rackmounted kit icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ed Rooney wrote:

The 2600/2900 combo is probably closer to what you want.

Just spotted some things on ebay that a few UK based people might be interested in for their home labs here & here

Jon