Options

Help me out? Loopback processing...

CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
I have tried a few times but for some reason I can't understand this.
Can someone explain this for me? I'd really appreciate it.
Looking to take this exam Friday the 23rd.
Thanks!

Cess
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now lets say you have a terminal servers ou where all your terminal servers are located in. How do you hide the control panel from users who connect using group policy when the hide control panel feature is in user configuration that only applies to users? The terminal server won't read it since the actual machine is associated with the computer object in the terminal servers ou. This is where loopback processing comes into play. It allows the computer object to process user configuration policies. So now the computer will read the computer policies as well as the user policies. Computer policy win.

There are 2 modes, replace mode and merge mode. Replace makes it so when policies are applied to a computer, the computer policies are applied and then the user policy that has loopback mode enabled is applied as well. As I stated before, computer policy wins. With merge mode, Computer policy is applied, user policy of the user who is connected is applied, and then the user policy of the loopback GPO is applied. Again, computer policy wins.

So in short, loopback allows user policies to be applied to a computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/distrib/dsec_pol_kcmb.mspx?mfr=true
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    So basically if a user has their settings applied every time at their workstation and then try to log on to lets say a server where the computer object has specific settings that should always be run the computer policy will either over power the user settings gpo or merge with them correct?

Wow I hope I got it...
    Is that right? :o
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Yes you have it.

If you apply the loopback processing GPO setting on an OU with the desired computer (i.e. you have a public area where there is a computer for customers to access a demo program), and lock down the machine (for example No control panel), even if one of your regular users who normally has this permission logs in they will not have access to the control panel.

Basically ---> user settings overrides computer settings, unless you use the loopback setting..

I hope this makes sense, I'm tired.... zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    theseman wrote:
    Yes you have it.

If you apply the loopback processing GPO setting on an OU with the desired computer (i.e. you have a public area where there is a computer for customers to access a demo program), and lock down the machine (for example No control panel), even if one of your regular users who normally has this permission logs in they will not have access to the control panel.

Basically ---> user settings overrides computer settings, unless you use the loopback setting..

I hope this makes sense, I'm tired.... zzzzzzzzzzz

Excellent!
    Thank you both for your help!