Options

Extra curricular activities in the resume?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
Should I put extra curricular activities in the resume? (E.g. clubs, volunteer work?)

I heard both sides of the pros and cons of doing this:

The pros: It shows the employer you are well balanced person.
The cons: It takes up space on the resume and it doesn't match the position.

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would only do that if i needed some fluff in my resume. If I couldnt fill one page of the most important information then i would add this info.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I normally advise against this. Employers look at your resume to see what your past education and work experience is, not to judge how well-balanced of a person you are. I would advise any mention of activities that could compete with your job (e.g., are self-employed, have a part-time job, on-going charity work, serious hobbies) or are dangerous (e.g., rock climbing, river rafting, motocross). I've passed on interviewing people with such things on their resumes.
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    jdmurray wrote:
    I normally advise against this. Employers look at your resume to see what your past education and work experience is, not to judge how well-balanced of a person you are. I would advise any mention of activities that could compete with your job (e.g., are self-employed, have a part-time job, on-going charity work, serious hobbies) or are dangerous (e.g., rock climbing, river rafting, motocross). I've passed on interviewing people with such things on their resumes.

I totally agree.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say No, unless these extra-curricular activities or clubs directly apply to the job you're applying for. I think most companies just want the facts on you and what you know and how it will apply to the position in question.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    DirtySouth wrote:
    I would say No, unless these extra-curricular activities or clubs directly apply to the job you're applying for. I think most companies just want the facts on you and what you know and how it will apply to the position in question.

I agree with that. When my résumé was thin back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I used to put in things like "I like to travel". I don't think it ever hurt my chances in those early days to get work, but looking back on that, it looks amatuerish.

If you are part of non-for-profit as a volunteer member or similar and they advertise for a paid position, then "yes". Advertise the fact you volunteer there. This would be my only exception.

These days, I tend to customise my résumé to suit the job I am applying for.