Options

CCNA Intro - Progress Report

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So here is my CCNA Intro progress report....

I finished reading CCNA Self Study - CCNA Intro Exam Certification Guide (ISBN 1-58720-094-5) and having studied the book; I can go through and get 100% on the question provided in the book. Obviously, I have been studying those for three months, so I'd better be getting in the high 90s, right?

The pre-test from the CD, I received an 82% (not good, but my mistakes were more procedural than technical), and a 97% on the retake after rereading the relevant sections. I only got one wrong on the techexams.net test for CCNA-Intro. From there I busted out a LearnKey Cisco video CD set I was given by a buddy, and got two wrong out of 50 something, for semesters 1-2. (not counting Novell and Appletalk, as the CDs are dated from when those were on the CCNA)

So I am thinking another week or so of review and another say, 4-5 hours on the routers and I should have the Intro test down. And should be able to schedule it.

I suppose, I am really questioning the scope of the test. No where in the CCNA Self Study - CCNA Intro Exam Certification Guide does it ever explain how to even set up a VLAN or really explain ACLs. Yet, when running through the pre-tests I came across these questions. I was working under the idea, that if I came across a question, that seemed out of place, look in the CCNA Self Study - CCNA Intro Exam Certification Guide and if it was not in there. I didn't need to go into details. Just know "what" it is, and move on.

Am I going to get myself into trouble with that?

Also, I think I should get this Intro test out of the way, and focus more on the ICND material, as it seems a lot more "real" world. The Intro test, seems more like trivial memorization. What ya think?

Update: I just twice in a row received mid to upper 90% on the Cisco questions.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm in your boat.
    i do know how to set up a vlan though because it is in the intro book
    in chapter 16 for the lab they want you to do in the simulator it includes creating a vlan
  • Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt get a single question on ACL's or Vlans in my INTRO exams. I think that is to come in the ICND.

Jon
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Per those exam blue print, I shouldn't run into ACLs, VLAN and VTP (and thus can save my money for another month, not having to buy a Cisco 2600 and a couple Cisco 2950 switches, w007!) Sure does make me nervous when the actual exam software asks you those questions though.

Weird, the chapter 16 simlator never works for me, keeps telling me I need to upgrade to do, any of the VLAN commands. Even when I follow the example, line by line. I think someone it's installed wrong as it's errored a couple times on me... No matter, I'll just get real Routers and Switches when the time comes. Nothing beats the real thing.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Per those exam blue print, I shouldn't run into ACLs, VLAN and VTP (and thus can save my money for another month, not having to buy a Cisco 2600 and a couple Cisco 2950 switches, w007!) Sure does make me nervous when the actual exam software asks you those questions though.

Weird, the chapter 16 simlator never works for me, keeps telling me I need to upgrade to do, any of the VLAN commands. Even when I follow the example, line by line. I think someone it's installed wrong as it's errored a couple times on me... No matter, I'll just get real Routers and Switches when the time comes. Nothing beats the real thing.
    yea I have the ccnp boson simulator.
    you can find it on bit torrent if you're so inclined
    ;)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Just a word of advice, when looking for a 2600 router you need to ensure that it is an IP Plus IOS as this supports 802.1q required for inter-VLAN routing.

Just thought I would warn you as it is not the router that gives this functionality it is the IOS so don't want you buying a 2600 then discovering you need to get your hands on a new IOS too.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19766

Info on all of the different types of IOS and what they all do can be found at this post. I would have a thourgh read of this post before buying your new router especially if it is off Ebay.

Hope this helps

Malc
  • Options
    thanks man, will do!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    outstreamoutstream Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi

dont waste ur time in trying to learn configuration of vlan and acls. they arent included in intro exam. save that effort for ur icnd exam. i didnt get a single question about acls in my intro exam. WANs, ACLs and VLANs are the thing of icnd
  • Options
    Understood.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel. Have you hit the CISCO prep center yet?

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main

Its free to setup an account if not. They have an 80-something question test on there that I found particularly relevant to the INTRO exam. Maybe run through that test and see how you do.

Good luck on the INTRO

James.
  • Options
    thanks man, 74 out of 86.. 85% or so I believe...

A couple subnetting questions wrong, which sucks. Because I thought I had them.

And I had no idea what this question meant... at all,

What is the protocol number for UDP?
    4 10%
    6 15%
    17 63%
    23 6%
    53 7%
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    thanks man, 74 out of 86.. 85% or so I believe...

A couple subnetting questions wrong, which sucks. Because I thought I had them.

And I had no idea what this question meant... at all,

What is the protocol number for UDP?
    4 10%
    6 15%
    17 63%
    23 6%
    53 7%
    udp is 17 and tcp is 6 I believe
    dunno the others though :)