Options

2501/2520 will not accept text input via serial console conn

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hey Everyone,

I'm just starting to get into router configuration and am trying to figure out how to connect/setup my routers. I posted a week or so ago asking for the terminal settings and have them set as follows (per your advice - thanks again):

Baud rate: 9600
Data: 8 bit
Parity: none
Stop: 1 bit
Flow Control: none

I can see all the output from the boot process, but then it just hangs here:
Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Whether I type "y", "yes", or just pound random keys, nothing shows up. Pressing [Enter] doesn't do anything.

Does anyone have any idea why that would be?

It happens in Tera Term as well as Hyperterminal. It happens on both routers (2501 and 2520). I have two "official" Cisco serial-to-RJ-45 cables, and the same problem happens with both of them.

Because of all the redundancy, it seems like the problem is a configuration issue, as opposed to something with the hardware or cables.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm anxious to continue my studies :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try changing the selection of COM port in the Hypertreminal or Teraterm setup. If you have been selecting com1 then try com3 and vice versa.

This has fixed connection issues like this for me before.
  • Options
    redgoblinredgoblin Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds odd. Could try erasing NVRAM and reloading from scratch again. Personally, I don't use Hyperterminal or Teraterm. I use SecureCRT (VanDyke software) and I reckon its the best out there by far (never had a problem with it). HyperTerminal can produce odd problems sometimes.
  • Options
    LearnAsIGoLearnAsIGo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got a 2501 (version 12.1) also. This problem happens to me quite often. What works for me is...

*****Disclaimer: I'm no expert or anything, just sharing my experiences.*****

I isolate the router, turning off other connected devices. That way, this helps my mind focus on this one router, without having to worry about anything else. It's just you, the pc, and the one router. icon_lol.gif

First, I'll turn on the one router.

Then I pull up hyperterminal (private edition) version 6.3.

My PC only lets me choose COM1. Nothing else.

Then I chant icon_redface.gif : 96-hundred-8-none-one-none (so called memorization techniques)

Click apply, then OK (and pray)...

Then when hyper window comes up, hit return a couple a times.

See anything? If not, reboot the one router.

What I then see is the power-up process. It takes a while. Give it a chance to do its thing.

When it says "Press RETURN to get started!" --- Don't. Because a bunch of other stuff scrolls up. I guess this is from my last configs - interfaces coming up, and such.

On my router, I know I'm ready to hit enter when I get this line on screen:
    Compiled Mon 02-Dec-02 22:47 by kellythw

Then I hit enter. Voila - a router prompt! (At least for me)

Redgoblin is right, Hyperterm does give me problems now and again. I've always wanted to try SecureCRT but I just make do with what I have.

I have to save my milk money for renting racks online.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't - was worth a try. But please post how you eventually got it going - enquiring minds wanna know.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions!

It looks like there is a problem with my pci add-on card. I picked one of these ( http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815166004 ) up because my machine didn't have any serial ports. There are no errors/warnings in device manager and when I tried to download and install new drivers, I was told I already had those drivers installed.

I hooked one of the routers up to my wife's machine this morning just to test it out, and voila, it worked without problems. I guess I'll try another card from a different manufacturer and see how that works. Maybe I'll just drop some real coin on something like this ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150006 ) instead of continually throwing away $15 on these cheapie cards. Has anyone had any experience with usb-to-serial adapters? They seem convenient, but I wouldn't be surprised if were prone to odd configuration problems as well.
  • Options
    Also, thanks for mentioning SecureCRT - that was the first I had heard of it. It would be nice to use something a little more modern. If you're short on cash, I noticed there's also a "regular" CRT for $60 instead of $100. I might go with that as I'm not too concerned about eavesdroppers between my PC and locally attached devices :)