Options

Testing Wednesday, panicking a little, AND I have a question

Not feeling too terrible about it, but I don't do a lot of these things I am studying, so...

Does anyone out there really use Universal Group Membership Caching at remote locations?

Thanks,
"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen it used. I wouldn't worry too much about this for 70-293. This is more of a 70-294 thing. Any specific questions you have regarding the technology?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    No, I understand it, but I was studying the Global Catalog and came across UGM and have never seen it used. Hopefully I will be on to 294 next week.

Thanks for the reply.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    I did get a few questions about it on 293 that I took a few weeks ago. And I'm about to take the 294 exam in a few days and I've seen it a little more often studying for 294. And no I haven't actually had to use it IRL only in lab environment.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's more used in larger environments where you are in a multi-domain environments where you have multiple domain partitions and you want to conserve Global Catalog replication traffic. This is because in a single domain environment, you can just set all your Domain Controllers as a Global Catalog which results in no added replication traffic due to their only being one domain partition anyways. As I said, it's for multi-domain enviornments where you don't have that many users and don't want all that global catalog replication traffic going over your WAN line. Of course there are some gotchas to this. For example, if you are using an application that depends on a Global Catalog server such as that case. In that case you'll need to put a Global Catalog server in that branch location.

Here's a flowchart where you can see when you'll want to use a Global Catalog vs UGMC.
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/0e4d2466-68e8-40d8-8c72-099f8bc259ff1033.mspx?mfr=true
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks