Options

Another Job Interview

IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
I have a job interview on thrusday :D But I do a litle bit of an issue, I am getting married in June, and am takin my honeymoon right after. How and when should I bring this topic up? I am afarid that if I bring this up too soon, I may lose my chance at a job, and I really want this job..... Not quite sure of what approach I should take. Any adive would be greatly appericated.
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask them at the time of the job offer. Usually if you have discussed money and like you well enough then they will let you slide with things like that. When most people make up their mind, it is a lot harder to sway them the other way.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Tell them you will postpone the wedding if you get the job! :D

Seriously, I would not mention it if this is your first interview. If it's the second, well that depends on how long the honeymoon will be. A week is pushing it, more than that and it's definitely going to be a problem (unless you are the world's champion at what you do). There's a couple of reasons. 1) They have an opening because they have work to be done and if you get the job and then you're gone for a while, the work isn't being done. 2) There is no way you aren't going to look bad. I know every one gets married and every one takes a honeymoon, but assuming you get the job right away, then by June, you haven't been there three months and you are already causing problems by being out, puts a lot of pressure on your boss.

Now having said that, I will also say that if you have unique skills and the company wants and needs you, they will be more apt to work with you. If you are competing with several others for the job it's going to be tough because you being gone a week or so may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

If they hire you without you telling them and they have a probationary period when they can fire you for any cause, they might just do that when they find out.

So I would suggest if you get to a second interview, you just tell them and ask them if it is going to be a problem. If they say no, then rock on and see what happens. They may say no and still not hire you, or every thing may work out fine. If they say yes it is, then you have to decide how bad you want the job and if you want it, put the honeymoon off till you have some vacation time saved up.

Life is full of difficult decisions, young friend. This is certainly one of them.

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A company should not have a problem to assist you during that important period in your life. How ever as previously mentioned, I would probably leave that detail until you receive a job offer.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I changed jobs in 1999. Around July, when I applied for the job and got an interview, I told them that I had already planned to go snowboarding in New Zealand for 2 weeks. They were cool about it. I got the job and a couple of weeks into the job, took my holiday. Of course, I got no holiday pay or loading.

I guess it depends on the company. If you get the job at the end of March and you get married in June, that's a couple of months away. So the company may be cool with it.

I would probably let them know sooner than later, however.

Can you talk to the soon-to-be missus and put the honeymoon part off? Maybe honeymoon for a weekend and then organise a "proper" honeymoon later? This way, the boss will think you're committed to the business and the missus will understand you want this job (I assume) for a better life.

I know every one gets married and every one takes a honeymoon

Alas, I'm still waiting for my princess to show up in my life icon_sad.gif Where can I find her?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

I am hoping that they will understand. Asking to post pone the honeymoon is out of the question, as she has already booked her time off of work. Its too late to change it now. Although I might be getting worked up for nothing, I still have to get past the first interview. If I do not get this job, this will be it until after the wedding. I think I can tolerate my job for a little while longer.

Plettner: I met my soon to be wife, on MSN Messenger.

• Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    xntrix18 wrote:
    Plettner: I met my soon to be wife, on MSN Messenger.

I might have to set up an account :) . I've never used instant messaging services such as MSN!
  • Options
    Well, I just got back a little while ago from my interview, I am confident that it went fairly well. The salary is right around the ballpark of what I was expecting. I am suppose to go back for another interview in april with the IT Manager as she is taking vacation time next week. The HR person seem very impress with me after the interview, it only lasted maybe 40-50mins, with questions like "why should we hire you" etc., Its an hour drive from where I live, which isnt too bad, its right on the outskirts of the city. So I dont actually have to drive into the city, which I am very glad about. But no my biggest concern is how to bring up the fact that I am getting married and need 2wks off in June?? Do I wait until they offer me the position and say "oh btw i need some time off" or am I up front about at the start of the 2nd interview? I am not sure of HOW and WHEN to bring this up. Side note, how much HR's opionon will affect me in getting this job? I saw the IT Manager & HR person speaking as I was leaving, I would of love to hear what they were saying.

• Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Man, TWO weeks??? That is a long time to ask off, bro, especially if you will only have been there for a short time. If you tell them on the 2nd interview AND there is any competion, you are screwed. On the other hand if you don't tell them till after you get hired, they might can your a$$ right there. TWO weeks???

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had to do this when i got hired at my job. If I remember correctly I told them about the situation when they asked if i had any questions or comments. I was honest, (thats the key) told them what I had planned and then explained how awkward it felt asking, but let them know I had to do it and that it was already paid for. I know i made it clear that I would never expect them to pay me for that time period either. And actually mine was two weeks as well :) Got married at Beaches in Bahamas after a week of hanging out there, and then walked down the street to Sandels for another week :)