Options

4 Semester nearly done / CCNA Preparation...

mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
Afternoon all,

I'm currently two modules (chapters) off completing the curriculum for the CCNA Semester 4 (4 of 4 semesters). Which means, a month or so after that it's my end of semester exam... and then starting revision toward the full CCNA. I already feel nervous at the prospect of trying to cram 2 years worth of at least 8 hours per weeks study into my head. Obviously though having subjected my life to this monster for two years I'm going to do whatever it takes to walk away with the full CCNA even if it means re-sitting it 10 times! :D

Does anyone (perhaps someone who achieved their CCNA through the academy) have any advice as to how best to prepare for the CCNA? As I've no doubt I'll need to know every fact I've learnt over the two years clearly the day I enter the exam (as from reading posts on here it's clear Cisco throw the hardest questions they can at you). How do you revise for something like that LOL! icon_eek.gif Are there exam papers/questions that can be bought/downloaded that are as close as possible to the caliber of questions in the actual CCNA? So you can gage when your sufficiently ready to take the test?

Also, the simulators... likewise are there simulators that can be bought/downloaded that will provide scenarios that test you as thoroughly as the actual CCNA?

Is there software that combines all of the above testing and lets you know when your at a sufficient level to take the test… like for instance (sorry for the bad example) theory driving test software that lets you know when your ready for the real thing.

All seems a little daunting! icon_confused.gif

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond.
Matt of England

Comments

• Options
    lauplaup Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Basicly mate the final CCNA exam is 90% of semester 3/4 they might throw in a few from 1/2 but not much so a general overview is ok.

know your routing protocols.
    static routes, switching vlans ect, osi/tcp layer, basic router switch commands, nat, access lists ect i tokk the ccna 801 exam 1 week after finishin semester 4, and passed last week with 898.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Matt,
    I just completed the Cisco Academy myself & just took (and passed) the CCNA. I can tell you that the Academy does an EXCELLENT job of preparing one for the actual exam. Honestly, I believe it actually over-prepares you. If you actually completed all of the labs and exams associated with the Academy, then you'll be in great shape.

I also read the Sybex book, which was very helpful and provided a different perspective. Be sure to hit up as many practice tests as you can such as the ones on this site, Sybex or any other sources you can find online. I used Boson Netsim quite a bit when practicing at home.

As I'm sure you've heard a million times, make sure you know subnetting like the back of your hand. Fortunate for me, ISDN isn't covered a whole lot, so focus on understanding all of the routing protocols (RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF), Frame-Realy, STP, VLANs, PPP, DHCP & NAT..etc. You'll need to be comfortable configuring all of these things without looking up the commands. Good news though...the CCNA does allow the "?" command!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Don't worry too much. Once you're pulling around 90% on practice exams, you should be good to go.
  • Options
    Cheers for your responses lads... Yeah done all the exams and all the lab based practicals. Just got Frame Relay and Network Management to do then I've completed all the modules. So I'm going to start preparing straight away for the full CCNA. :)

Don't think I'd be able to complete the Semester 4 and then go instantly onto take the exam! LAUP you must have a superb memory mate. I'll definitely have to spend a couple of months revising hard and practicing sims.

I'll keep you updated and no doubt be mithering again sometime soon for further guidance! Nice one boys. icon_wink.gif
    Matt of England
  • Options
    Honestly, don't delay too long. I would encourage you to take it ASAP so that all of hte information is fresh in your mind. Setup a couple labs in some simulators where you're using multiple technologies all at once. For example, Frame-Realy, PPP, EIGRP, CHAP, DHCP & NAT all in one.
  • Options
    True I shouldn't leave it too long... but then I'll need to recap on everything I've done... both theory and simulations. What I'm after is software or a website that can provide this and in the process highlight area's that I'll need to improve my knowledge.

I've found this website

http://www.****.com/CCNA/ccna_640-801.htm

It claims to provide simulations, theory and self-testing mechanisms.

Anyone heard of it or used it... or can anyone recommend a different website or software. Cost isn't an issue.

Thanks to anyone who responds. :D
    Matt of England
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mattipler wrote:
    Looks like a ****/**** site -- it got caught by icon_wm.gif 's filters.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    A ****/**** site!?!?!?
    Matt of England
  • Options
    mattipler wrote:
    A ****/**** site!?!?!?
    Brain **** sites are blocked on here. Work on whatever simulations you can get your hands on. Make it your goal to be able to configure those sims without having to look up the commands.