Options

FBI?

jrmcentjrmcent Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am pursuing a CCNA and hopefully CCNP in hopes of landing a job with the FBI as an SA. Theres always a lot of talk on FBI forums about the CCNA and CCNP and I was wondering if anyone here is in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Options
    the101sthe101s Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think youre gonna need more than that to get in the fbi, do some more research
  • Options
    haha, i know i need more than just a ccnp to get into the fbi, its really just a bonus, just wondering if anyone else was.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I can tell you from 1st hand experience....you are in for an interesting time.

Would be a good idea for you to get some general computer security certs and work experience.

I can tell you that CompTIA Security+ is mandatory in the DOD and DOHLS....I am guessing that is true with FBI as they fall under the DOD umbrella.

As for computers, you’re not going to touch a government server without a MCSA or equivalent experience.

And As for networks, you’re not going to get near a router until you have a CCNA or equivalent experience.

Notice the key terms here is "equivalent experience" - get an entry level IT job in the field you are going for while you are working tward you certs. Will make the interview process MUCH easier on you.

They (the goverment or goverment contractors) will hire people without the certs, but you have to have a lot of experience, right now I am after MCSE and MCPD, then long term goals would be a CISSP and CCNP, but I have about 10 years experience in server admin and computer programming.
  • Options
    bcairns thanks for the info. If you have any useful tips or experiences you've had with some federal agencies I would love to hear them.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I've got a couple of family members who work for the FBI, and one of them in I.T. it will be VERY hard to get considered without AT LEAST a bachelor's degree. You could join their special agent program witha bachelor's degree and specialize in I.T. That's the easiest way in. The "Professional" side requires the degrees, the certs, and experience. The degrees weighs more when you start going up the GS pay scale. They usually get a lot of their entry-level I.T. folk from hiring interns after they graduate. G.P.A. is big with them as well, and they can pick and choose since they get thousands of resumes for the same jobs. Getting in is a lot easier if you have all of the above, interned, or know someone internal with hiring power. Good luck!!

EDIT: Just read your last post about information on federal positions in general. Most federal agencies won't hire in someone directly unless they have a stacked resume, a lot of experience, education, etc. Another factor is if you already possess a security clearance and if you are a military veteran. Most of the federal government I.T. jobs require some sort of security clearance. Unless they have been in for a while, most of the Federal Government I.T. Staff are prior contractors. There are many government contractors like Booz-Allen, CACI, and Unisys, that provide I.T. contractors, and a lot of them get picked up as full-time employees with the federal governement if they want you.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bcairns wrote:
    I can tell you that CompTIA Security+ is mandatory in the DOD and DOHLS....I am guessing that is true with FBI as they fall under the DOD umbrella.

Just one correction. The FBI falls under the DOJ (Deparment of Justice), not the DoD. Read up on DoD directive 8570 if you want to know what DoD requirements and equivilents are.